Curling Irons and New Found Popularity

"Brent! For the 1 000 time! Get out of bed you're going to be late!" I awoke to Lana's pitchy morning voice. I groaned and rolled out of my bed, which wasn't the brightest idea. I hit the hardwood floor with a 'THUMP' and moaned as Lana giggled. Hey, I never said I was smart in the morning. I finally opened my eyes to see Lana, fully dressed and curling her hair, in my doorframe, the smile still present on her face. I untangled myself from my comforter and struggled to my feet. I ran a hand through my dishleved hair and stuck my toungue out at Lana.

"You're such a child." She said, turning back to the mirror, wrapping another strand of her black hair around the burning rod.

"So I've been told. How do you not burn you're head with that thing?" I ask, referring to the curling iron.

"You know I'd love to have this covnersation, but I'd perfer if you had a shirt on."

"Whatever. Where's dad?"

"He left this morning, sorry."

"It's okay, after six years I'm pretty used to it." Work. Work. Work. That's all it is with him, he got home late last night from a meeting and left early this morning.

"Sorry bud." She says, putting down the death trap and hugging me with one arm.

"Whatever, you're giving me a ride this morning right?" I hug back quickly before pulling away and walking back to my bed.

"Yep, ready in 20?"

"No problem, see you then." We may seem like we fight, but we tend to put up an act at school. Truth is, since my mom went 'away' we needed to work together, which meant no fighting. Trust me, it wasn't easy, considering she's a typical head cheerleader, starbucks loving, white girl. She headed back to the bathroom and I closed my door, throwing on an old band t-shirt and loose jeans. I rubbed some gel into my black hair, spiking it carelessly. I left my bedroom, heading towards the kitchen. Lana was there, eating her Cherrios and texting on her phone. I grabbed a blueberry muffin from the bowl in the middle of the table and took a seat across from her.

"I have to pick up Sarah, is that okay?" Lana asks, looking up from her phone and having another spoonful of cherrios.

"Ya, but I call shotgun." She snickers and types something else before locking her iPhone and shoving it into her purse. I finish the muffin and throw on my vans.

***

When we get to school, I hop out of the car and head to the stairs where we meet in the morning. There's a bigger crowd of people gathered there than usual and it takes some effort to shove my way through the people. When I break throuh the group of students, I see Lilly laughing with Megster on the steps with the boys sitting next to them.

"Hey guys," I grin at them, taking my seat next to Troy.

"Hey Brent." They chorus.

"Hey Latte?" She turns towards me, the smile still present on her face. "Need a tour of the school? I can show you one or two things." I flex my muscules. She wrinkles her nose in disgust and we arupt in laughter.

"Um, I'll take the tour but please, leave your shirt on, I'm taken." I know she meant it as a joke but I couldn't stand it when she talked about him. My face fell for a moment but I smiled again, making sure no one saw the hurt in my eyes. By the look on Troy's face, he saw.

"If you saw my abs like the cheerleaders did yesturday, you'd be begging the opposite." Cole high fived me and Noel snickered.

"It was quite a show," A new voice joins the conersation. I turn to see Brooke smiling at the group. Her blonde hair was in a side braid and she was wearing a tight crop top with dark jeans. She stepped next to me and I slung an arm over her shoulder loosely as she blushed at our contact.