Owen's Playroom

Owen’s Playroom

Owen was just like any other four year old boy in the world. He was full of energy, loved baseball, and playing on his iPad. His favorite foods were chicken nuggets and macaroni and cheese; he hated vegetables. He had curly brown hair, light brown eyes, and a smile that could warm the heart of anybody. Owen, like any other four year old, liked to watch television. His favorite shows were Spongebob Squarepants and Curious George, which is why for his fourth birthday he received both a Spongebob and a Curious George toy from his parents. He loved those toys more than any other toys of his. One thing that Owen didn’t know was that all his toys had lives of their own when he was not looking. Spongebob and George quickly became popular among the other toys, mostly consisting of Legos. All these toys got along very well; Spongebob and George even became unofficial leaders within their community of toys. However a year later, on his fifth birthday, Owen received some new toys, dinosaurs.

After having an entire dinosaur themed birthday party, Owen was tired and went to bed. While he was asleep, the toys used this time to meet the new influx of dinosaur toys. There were around twenty of them, 15 little ones that were on the cake, and 5 bigger ones. Among the bigger dinosaurs were a brontosaurus, a triceratops, a spinosaurus, an iguanadon, and a humungous tyrannosaurus rex. Before Spongebob had a chance to welcome the new toys into their little community, the dinosaurs immediately ran wild on a rampage. The dinosaurs showed absolutely no sign of understanding a single word that the other toys were saying to them. After about an hour the entire room was trashed and the other toys had no idea what to do. Finally, the tyrannosaurus rex spoke. 

“My name is Basilea, king of the dinosaurs.” After a long pause of silence Basilea began to speak again, “I demand that you all become my tributes and that you respect the authority of our superior kind. If you refuse you will continue to face the same destruction you all witnessed today. You all have until tomorrow at this time to give me your decision.” Basilea then said something unrecognizable to anyone but the other dinosaurs. Upon hearing his command, the other dinosaurs followed his lead and retreated into one of the toyboxes.

Soon after all the dinosaurs were gone, the toys in the community began to talk amongst themselves, and there was a lot of confusion. George immediately looked to Spongebob for a sense of direction. 

“What will we do?” he asked. 

Spongebob thought for a moment and faced the gathering crowd of toys; finally he began to speak, 

“Exactly one year ago today, George and I were graciously welcomed into this wonderful community. I have grown to know and love this community, and Owen more than anything else. Now a new group of toys threatens our way of life. They wish for us to simply hand them over our rights as toys and to serve them as tributes.” Spongebob paused for a second, and then he shouted, 

“Well I tell them one thing, we will not simply hand over ourselves to them that easily, we will take a stand and we will fight!”

 The speech was met with immediate cheering from the toys who were listening. George looked up to his best friend and smiled. He had always admired Spongebob’s intense charisma; he was nothing like the free-minded cartoon character portrayed on television. 

The next day was spent building up an army to fight against the dinosaurs. Spongebob and George split the toys into separate groups, and made sure that at least one toy soldier was placed in each group. The army was ready for anything; these toys were ready to lay down their lives for the community. The toys then built a fort using toy blocks, Spongebob ordered for there to be a tower in the middle of the fort in the shape of a trophy, symbolizing their future victory. 

Soon after the preparations were finished, Basilea and his fellow dinosaurs arrived there.

 “So have you made a decision yet?” asked Basilea almost mockingly.

“We will stand and fight.” Answered Spongebob sternly.  

“Very well.” laughed Basilea. 

He said something to the triceratops and immediately it ran into the wall breaking it like it was nothing. What ensued next was complete chaos. There were many broken toys that day and things seemed bleak. The dinosaurs were simply too powerful for them to handle. Basilea soon started throwing toys out of the second story window, laughing sinisterly as he watched the toys fall to their deaths. Spongebob, seeing all this happen before his eyes, knew that he had to put a stop to this. He ran over to the window as fast as he could, pushing through the intense fighting to save his friends.

“Well, if it isn’t Spongebob Squarepants himself,” he said as he ripped off the arm of a stuffed animal, proceeding to kick the rest of his body out the window, “are you ready to die?”

“You don’t have to do this; it’s not too late for you to join us. We could all live together in a happy community together.” Said Spongebob.

“But where’s the fun in that? I live for this, this is what I am. I am a predator. I am the King” he shouted and what immediately followed was a loud roar unlike anything anyone had ever heard. In the distance George could see that his friend was in trouble. 

The two of them began to fight and both were dangerously close to the window. Basilea had a large size advantage over Spongebob, but Spongebob was much quicker and more had some experience with karate. The fight was much more even than most would’ve expected but Spongebob knew that if he let Basilea gain the upper hand that the fight would be over. Pure strength wise, Basilea had a huge advantage. Spongebob got his hands on a marker and began using it as a weapon. Things were going well for Spongebob until he felt a sharp pain on his back. He dropped his marker and fell to his knees seeing a bullet from a Nerf gun next to him. He realized that he had been shot, presumably by a stray bullet. It didn’t matter however, as he had allowed Basilea to gain the upper hand, the one thing he wasn’t supposed to do. Basilea was now on the verge of throwing him off the window. Spongebob was now in deep trouble. 

“Any last words?” said Basilea with that evil laughter that Spongebob had grown to hate more than anything.

Before he even had a chance to answer the question he saw someone tackle Basilea out the window, taking both of them to their deaths. Spongebob soon realized that it had been George who had sacrificed his own life to stop Basilea and save him, along with the rest of the community. All around the toys began to celebrate, and the dinosaurs, now without a leader, surrendered. Every toy was filled with excitement and was glad to see the battle end, every toy except for Spongebob, who was in a state of shock. 

“It wasn’t really him,” he thought to himself,” he’s somewhere around here somewhere, he’ll come find me soon.” But he was nowhere to be found.

“Maybe he survived the fall.” But he knew that even George couldn’t survive a two story fall. He had to accept it. George wasn’t coming back. The battle was over, but at a price, Spongebob had lost his best friend.