xxxv

Panic.

It coursed through my veins as Kenny stomped closer. Heart rate picked up as well as my breathing. I hoped it would only be for good reasons after tonight but clearly I was wrong.

Patty looked like she was about to cry out of frustration and fear as Kenny stomped closer.

The crazy part was that as Kenny stomped closer, he wasn't heading to Harry with anger featured in his eyes – no, he was heading towards me.

So, panic ensued.

His fists clenched, and his nostrils flared, and his eyebrows scrunched together in fury. He hit me once. Just once. I would say I deserved it because I provoked him by screaming in his face, but, I didn't deserve it. I was hurt, and he – quite literally – hit me while I was down. But, that was a long time ago and I've let it go. He never did it again and I was quick to believe he was changed. However, as Kenny stomped closer, I couldn't help but worry that he would hit me again.

In the nick of time, Derek came out front in search of his missing wife and friends and he and Harry pushed Kenny back as he tried to continue to stomp towards me. I swallowed hard, my throat dry as I realized that he was actually about to hit me. Or push me. Maybe even knock me out, honestly.

"Were you seriously about to hit me?" I spoke calmly and tilted my head as if he just didn't affect me.

"What? No," he scoffed. He was lying.

"How did you even find me?" I sighed, stepping off the final step that leads into the building.

"You, uh– you put the location on your Instagram story," he cleared his throat.

"Are you seri– Y'know what, I'm not surprised. Why are you here?"

"I wanted to see you. You look beautiful, by the way," he smiled. At first, I would swoon, but, now, I wanted to vomit.

"I don't want to see you. Why don't you get that?"

"Because, just because you preach it doesn't mean you practice it."

"Trust me, I practice it," I assured, turning my back to head back inside. "Go away, Kenny; Back to New York. Show up near me again and I'm calling the police and getting a restraining order."

"You don't mean that."

"She does, Mate," Harry chimed in. Great, here we go.

"I don't remember talking to you, Prick," Kenny snapped, breaking his arms out of Harry and Derek's grasp.

I pulled Derek and Patty up with me ushering them inside. "Please, go back inside and enjoy the rest of your night, we'll handle this."

"Wendy, what the hell is going on?" Patty fumed.

"When you get back from your honeymoon, I'll explain," I promised, walking back outside to the two egos.

"From our honeymoon? Are you insane? I want answers now, Wendy. Your drama was so close to ruining this day I deserve answers," Patty instructed, stomping her foot down.

"And before it does ruin your day, I want you to enjoy yourselves. I will handle this, and I will tell you. Please," I begged, praying she would listen. Derek looked at me with squinted eyes before standing back up straight and directing himself and Patty back to the party.

She looked at me over her shoulder with worry and fury in her eyes as Derek consoled her, whispering, "Just trust her," in her ear. I collected myself and hurriedly rushed back outside to be thankful that they haven't ended up on the floor in a boxing match.