7. Returning Home

"All my fault, my fault..." Dagur muttered to himself Ashe dug another small rock out of the ground and flung it at the tree in front of him.

Shattermaster, a young Gronckle who Dagur quickly befriended during his first weeks living on the island, watched the depressed human continue to mutter nonsense to himself and fling rocks at trees (especially the tasty ones he could have been throwing to him as a snack) and grunted to let him know he still had him for company.

"I literally lost her, I'm a bad boyfriend!" Dagur groaned to himself as he flopped down on top of the green dragon's side. "I was so sure Flaresight was gonna kill me when I came back alone! But book, the silent treatment is way worse than getting set on fire and torn to shreds!"

"I miss her too ya know, all of us do." Shattermaster commented, even though he knew the human wasn't going to be able to understand him anyway. Poor boy was still having trouble speaking dragon, at one point accidentally insulting an annoyed Changewing and upsetting a sensitive Raincutter.

"I really should have stayed with her,I should have!" Dagur groaned again and stood up. "That's it! I'm going back to that damn fort and getting her back myself! Whether she's dead or alive I am bringing her back home!"

"Shatty!" Shattermaster's ears perked up at the familiar voice as a loud screech sounded through the jungle and a familiar grey and purple dragon came flying out of the trees with-

"Lei!" Dagur screamed in joy as the feral girl leapt off Striker and fell right on top of him, knocking the two of them onto the ground as Striker tackled Shattermaster.

"Still alive!" Lei yelled as she jumped to her feet.

"Oh thank Odin! You had me so worried!" Dagur cried as he got to his feet and flung his arms around her. "I was so worried! When I looked behind me to see if you caught up,you weren't there, the alpha was sooooo mad when he saw I didn't bring you back and I thought he was gonna kill me-"

"He wouldn't do that because Sapphire would kill him herself." Lei interrupted and gave a small laugh. "Oh by your gods I've missed you so much! You wouldn't believe how many humans I've seen when I got caught! So many smells, and noises and so many different looking humans too!"

"Are you hurt? Did any of those humans hurt you?" Dagur asked quickly. Lei lifted up a corner of her shirt to show him a large bruise that she had received a few days ago during her imprisonment and saw his dark green eyes flare with anger. "I'm going to kill those bastards myself!"

"No need to, they won't be a problem anymore." Lei assured him quickly. "Because Drago is gone!"

Dagur looked at Lei in surprise. "Gone? Like, gone gone? Like he's actually dead or something?"

"I helped defeat that mean alpha!" Striker added excitedly as he jumped behind Lei and placed his head on top of hers. "It was so cool! I glowed like a Night Fury!"

"And you wouldn't believe who helped us out, a game human and a Night Fury!" Lei added with a grin. "I've never seen a Night Fury before, Sapphire told me they were almost extinct! It was such an honor to fight side-by-side with such a powerful dragon!"

"A Night Fury and a tame human?" Dagur asked, his stomach twisting nervously. There had to be a mistake, it couldn't be the human he was thinking of (the only one he knew who tamed and rode a Night Fury).

"Yeah he was a funny looking guy too, pretty skinny like a fishbone, fluffy brown hair that had tiny little braids in it, talked kind of funny too." Lei replied with a nod. "And he had a lot of other humans with him too, I've never knew humans could have hair as yellow as the sun or dark as a shadow! I just thought all humans had red, brown or auburn hair like us!"