Chapter 1: Pearson

Kara's POV

My brother, Kaz and I were sitting on our friend, Tom's bed. He was typing away at his computer. Tom has been a friend of our's since that first day of middle school. Kaz and Tom are close friends. More than me and Tom. There is no doubt that he was hacking the school website. I know that this is a bad idea."Tom this a bad idea. Can't you earn your grades instead of changing them. Your parents are gonna notice."

He is trying to change his grades before his parents find out and I know he is gonna get caught. He always gets caught. He did not look away from his computer an hit the school firewall. "You don't understand. I wanna be cool, like you and Kaz." I do not consider me and Kaz cool or popular. I mean Kaz and I like superhero videogames and comics. Kaz is literally reading a Tecton Comic. I forget which one he is reading.

"You are gonna get caught, Tom and you will have the wrath of your parents on you." I explain. Tom does not respond and keeps typing away. I know that he is ignoring me. If you are wondering what Kaz and I are doing at Tom's is we are just hanging and tomorrow we are going with him on his family trip to a lake house. My brother Kaz was next to me the whole time. He was quite but he smiles at me. "Let him do this, Kara. He tanked them on purpose because he wants to be cool. He's not doing anything wrong."

"Thank you Kaz." Tom says and goes back to typing on his computer.

" One, he is hacking into the schools website to change his grades. Hacking. And two, do not encourage him, Kaz. This is a bad idea." I say and then there is a weird thunk noise.

"What was that?" I ask and them there was a thunk. Tom looks up from his computer. I was getting scared. We all looks at the window as it slowly opens and then a blond haired girl climbs halfway through it. It was my friend Bethany Pearson, Tom's sister.

"One word, and you're dead." Beth said as she finishes climbing through the window. I knew where she was. On a late night date with that jerk Ricky. I hate him. He is probably cheating on Bethany with some one else. He tries to flirt with me. Um, No thank, Ricky Dillman. I have a suspicion that Ricky is lying about his age.

"Hey Beth." I say to her.

"Oh, Hi." Kaz says as he looks up from a comic book.

"Hi, Kara and Kaz." Beth says.

Tom gets up and walks over to Beth. "Are you crazy? If Dad catches you, he's going to kill you."

Bethany turns around to face the window. "Dad's not going to catch me."

Kaz and I get up and walk over to her. We see Bethany smile and then she kisses her hand and wave at Ricky. (Gags).

"I don't get it. What do you see in that guy?" Tom asks. I think 2 things. The first thing is I know Kaz is wondering that too. I also think great. Now Beth is going to go on a rant about Ricky. Thanks Tom. Not really. I was being sarcastic.

Ricky was in his horrible, disgusting mustard yellow car. He waves back at Beth. Then he yells. "Bye, babe!"

Now Bethany is going on that rant about Ricky. "You mean, other than the fact that he's good looking, sweet... sensitive, romantic, funny and ridiculously athletic?"

Gag. I am sick of Ricky flirting with me and so is Kaz. But that's Kaz for you. Before anyone else could say anything, Little Hannah came in in her pajamas and she was holding her sock monkey. "Dad's coming, and he's mad." She informs us.

"At who?" Tom ask for clarification. Kaz looked a bit nervous. I smile at him as if to tell him it's not you. Kaz does not necessarily do respond well to authority. But he has seemed to be okay today.

Hannah points her older brother. "Tom."

But at the same time a deeper voice yelled the same name. It was Mr. P, Tom's dad. I knew he was gonna get caught. Bethany grabs Hannah and both of them were hiding behind Tom's open door. Mr. P was coming down the hall. I could tell he was not happy. Kaz and I look down at the Tecton Comic. We were reading when Mr. P came in. Well, Kaz and I were acting like we were reading but really we were listening in on their conversation. Tom was standing by his bed. "What?"

Mr. P was not happy, not one bit. "If you're smart enough to hack into the school Web site... then you are smart enough to pass math. Do you think Bethany got accepted to Michigan by screwing around all the time?"

I knew Mr. P was gonna find out. I just didn't know how this convo was gonna play out.Tom was still standing there and seemed to be annoyed when he answered his dad. "Of course not. She got in 'cause she's perfect." To be honest, I really hate this Tom who tries to act like he is cool and popular and doesn't care about anything but himself. But, Mr. P corrected Tom. "No. Your sister worked her tail off, and that's exactly what I expect from you."

"Yeah. You're right, Dad. I-I-I don't deserve a family vacation. I should stay home tomorrow, learn my lesson." Tom answers. Kaz and I look at each other. We were confused by what Tom said. He answered differently, like the tom who didn't care about being cool answered. We have no idea what brought on his emotional 180.

Mr. P thought it was a trick. If it was he did fall for it. "Oh, no, no. I am not taking that bait, kiddo. This isn't you. The bad attitude, the grades. What is going on?" I knew that Mr. P was right, this isn't Tom. He has always had this obsession with being cool. It has seemed to have somehow gotten worse because now he is pretty much failing every single class on purpose.

"Nothing." That was Tom's response. Really, Tom? Nothing? I am not sure if I believe that.

"I blame all this for coming between this right here." Mr. P says as he points all of Tom's tech stuff and then between him and Tom, "Some good old-fashioned no-tech. family togetherness is exactly what we need." He says and unplugs Tom's computer, "So get some sleep. We're hitting the road at sunup. Oh, and you guys too." Apparently he found Hannah and Beth. She smirks at Tom.

"That's our cue to go. Come on, Kaz. Bye guys." I say as Kaz closes the comic book and gets up.

"Bye." Kaz says and then we hear Tom, Beth and Hannah say bye. We walk down the stairs and towards the living room. "Bye Mr. and Mrs. P" Both of us say. And then we walk out the front door. We head to our house.

"Kaz, I have a feeling that this vacation is not gonna be 100% normal. It would be nice to be proved wrong. But, I think that we should take our blue mission suits with us. You, know just incase." I say.

My older twin smiles at me. "Good idea." After that we walked into our house. Kaz and I started to pack our suitcases. While I was packing I remembered my computer, guitar and other things.

My guitar case is all black. I have a red acoustic guitar in it. And on the case My first name is engraved on a plaque that is on it.

My suitcase is a big pink vintage looking one. I can wheel it out instead of carrying it. I don't have super strength. After I pack all of my stuff I check in on Kaz to make sure all of his stuff was packed. Kaz's suitcase is light blue and he had everything packed.

After, we were all packed I went back into my room. I put on Pajama's and went to sleep. Tomorrow we are going to the Lakehouse with Tom, Bethany, Hannah and his parents.