CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Start from the beginning

Putting on her coat, Courtney was out of the door at lightning speed. She couldn't wait to be out of the hospital, which was a first. She used to love it there every single day, even if she had a bad day. However, after seeing dear old dad, something had broken in her. She didn't like it and didn't know how to fix it. Stuffing her hands into the pockets of her coat, she wandered into the open air. Courtney let out a deep sigh as she wondered what she was going to do. Should she just go home and lock herself in her bedroom for the rest of the evening? Or should she try and find Meredith because she was in desperate need of her sister's company?

Hoping that her sister was at Joe's, she walked over there. Courtney had figured out that if Meredith wasn't home, she would be at Joe's. She had been right almost every single time. "Please, Mer, be here." Courtney mumbled to herself as she pushed open the door to Joe's. People were cheering at some kind of basketball game playing on the television. That wasn't what Courtney was interested in though. A small smile crept on her face as she saw her sister knitting at the bar. She made her way over to the free spot next to Meredith and sat down as she looked at Meredith. "How's the knitting going, Mer?"

She looked up from her attempt at a sweater. "Courtney? What are you doing here?"

"Is it a crime now to want to hang out with your sister?" Courtney laughed and ordered a glass of red wine. She shot Joe a smile as he placed the glass in front of her. Picking at her nails, Courtney mindlessly stared in front of her. Meredith often looked up from her knitting to glance at her sister. She had noticed that something was off ever since they had visited their father. Meredith had decided to not press the matter and leave her be, knowing that Courtney needed some space. Time passed by as the two sisters sat there, not speaking but just enjoying the other's presence. Sometimes that could just be enough.

The silence was broken when Derek walked up to them. "You know, as a friend, I got to tell you, you look a little weird." He said as he stood next to Meredith as Courtney sipped from her wine, watching the two of them. She knew that Derek and Meredith had become friends, but she couldn't help but feel a bit weird seeing them together again. She wondered how long it would take for either one of them to find out that they couldn't be just friends.

"I am making a sweater." Meredith replied.

"You're knitting. In a bar. You can't knit in a bar. You're scaring the customers." Joe joined in, looking around to see a small number of people looking at Meredith with weird and judgmental looks on their faces. Most of them didn't care, since the game was important than some girl knitting. Courtney turned her head to spot a couple of those people and sent a glare their way.

"People should learn to mind their own business. So what if Meredith is knitting? It's not like she's posing as a problem for them," Courtney spoke up, letting more wine enter her system. "Besides, what so wrong with knitting?" Meredith shot her sister a small smile, glad that she was on her side. The other two looked at her for a couple of seconds, before they turned their focus back on Meredith.

Derek tried to get Meredith to drink, but she didn't budge. "I can't have a drink. I'm celibate." The two men shared a look with Joe asking if she didn't mean sober instead of celibate. "No. Celibate. I'm practicing celibacy, and drinking does not go well with celibacy, because it makes everything and everyone seem kind of porny. And then my head gets all cloudy and then the next thing you know, I'm naked. And my point is, I'm celibate, and knitting is good for surgical dexterity, so I'm making a sweater. No more men."

Addison was surprised as she walked up to them. "No more men? Really? You? And I'm asking because we are friends." Courtney looked away from the television – not that she was really interested on what was going on there – as this was the first time she heard that Meredith and Addison were friends.