coming out 〔♡〕

(Max's POV)

Jane and I have been together for a week, and we haven't told anybody. During this time, Mike hasn't been hanging out with the rest of the party. I started getting worried, I told Lucas that I liked her a few months ago but Dustin and Will didn't know, and I didn't want Mike to tell them. Jane and I decided to tell our friends, we thought that it was better if they heard it from us. Jane also made the choice to tell her family.

"There's something we want to talk to you about" I said as the Lucas, Dustin and Will gathered around. Lucas smiled at me, knowing what I was about to say. "Jane and I have been girlfriends for a week, that's the real reason she broke up with Mike" I declared. Nobody seemed surprised, then Will admitted that they already knew. I assumed that Lucas told them, I shot him a look. "Don't look at me!" he blurted. I took that as a "I didn't tell them". "If Lucas didn't tell you guys, then who did?" I asked. "We just knew" Dustin replied, "once Mike and Jane broke up it was obvious, the way you look at each other is what gave it away!". 

They didn't seem bothered by it, I sighed in relief. "So you don't care?" I asked, they told me it didn't bother them at all and said that they'd always love us no matter what. Jane then told them how Mike reacted, and said we decided to tell them before he did. "Have you met Mike's parents? Of course that's how he reacted!" Dustin added. I guess he was right, Mike's parents were very close minded, which was probably where he got that from. The party all agreed that if we couldn't change his mind, that we'd stop hanging around him. This was hard for Will, Mike has been his best friend since kindergarten. But he knew this was the right thing to do, and he knew that he had us. 

(Jane's POV)

Things went so well with my friends, I got a sudden jolt of confidence. It was like a breath of fresh air, I was ready to tell my dad, I wasn't worried anymore. Max insisted she came along, she told me she knew I was confident about this but she wanted to be there for me in case he reacted poorly. Max and I were sitting in my room waiting for him to get home, then we heard the front door open. "He's here" Max gulped, I smiled at her reassuringly, then we went out into the living room.

"Hey, Dad?" I muttered, "can I talk to you?". He turned around, looked at me, then looked at Max. "Y-yeah sure.." he responded with an anxious tone, he was still new to this parenting thing and I usually went to Joyce with my problems or questions. I was about to say it, then that confidence disappeared. I started questioning all of this, what if he reacted the same way Mike did? What if I lost him too?  

"I-we-" I couldn't finish the sentence,I started to tear up. Max put her arm around me and patted my back, she then whispered "it's going to be okay"in my ear and all of my anxieties melted away. The words finally escaped my mouth: "dad, Max and I are together, we're a couple". He was quiet at first, that worried me considering that was how Mike's negative reaction began. "Were you afraid to tell me this?" he said, I nodded in response. He then told me this: "You shouldn't have been, kid. I will always love you no matter what, understand?". I started to tear up again, but these were happy tears. I hugged him, then he smiled and Max and she joined the hug.

When Joyce got home, telling her was easy. After the way my dad took the news, I knew she'd support Max and I. She told us to come to her if anyone was giving us any trouble and she'd handle it, I didn't tell her about the way Mike reacted but I knew she'd find out sooner or later. Max won't be telling her family anytime soon, besides, my family is more of a family to her than hers will ever be.