Sensui

"Huh." Hak glanced around his surroundings, his expression blank and unimpressed. "This is not where we thought we'd find you guys."

The group found themselves on the outskirts of Sensui, in the seediest part of town. When Kija had started leading the group in the direction of the dilapidated old shed where they eventually found Jaeha and Yona, Ezra had almost began to doubt his dragon radar. If it wasn't for Shinah following without hesitation, Ezra may have protested their direction.

She glanced up at the gap-riddled wooden roof above her head and was rewarded by a drop of water landing directly on her face with a distinct plop. Why on earth had Jaeha and Yona chosen to reside in this musty, leaky shed? "Not gonna lie, this isn't the welcome we were hoping for."

"We were attacked by some of Hiyou's assassins on the way over," Jaeha said, his face grim.

Ezra's discomfort in the cold and wet conditions immediately faded to the back of her mind. "What?" Her eyes swept her companions for injuries; they seemed unharmed, if a bit chilled and shaken.

"I thought it would be too dangerous to look for an inn with Hiyou after us," Jaeha said. "This was the best I could do to find shelter while avoiding attention."

Ezra clenched her fist. "I knew I shouldn't have let that madman get away. Damn it!"

"It's fine, Ez," Yona said, her teeth clattering together with the cold. "We'll find him."

"We wouldn't have to find him if I'd just-" Ezra was interrupted by a loud, high-pitched scream coming from outside the building. Immediately everyone's attention snapped towards the entrance. "What was that?"

Jaeha leaped up and raced outside. Ezra followed him in time to witness the Ryokuryu kick a man away from a cowering woman with his dragon leg. As Jaeha stood over the woman's attacker to make sure he didn't rise, Ezra approached the frightened girl.

"Are you hurt?" she asked, softly touching the girl's arm.

"N-no," she stuttered, eyes wide and blank with shock.

"What happened?"

The girl shook her head as if trying to clear it. "I don't know! That man just grabbed me, saying something about red hair..."

Ezra's face froze. She whipped her head towards Jaeha. "Did you hear that?"

Jaeha's purple eyes were stormy. "Yes."

Ezra returned her attention to the girl. "Where do you live? Can I walk you home?"

"Y-yes please," she stammered.

"Tell the others what happened," Ezra ordered Jaeha. "I'll make sure she gets home safely before rejoining you."

Jaeha nodded, and they parted ways.

~~~

A few hours later, the rain had stopped. When Ezra made her way back towards the shed, she found her companions huddled outside around a small, crackling fire.

"Warmth!" she cried, jumping from the roof to land beside Yun and thrusting her hands towards the fire. She startled the poor boy out of his skin when she suddenly appeared beside him.

"What the hell!" Yun spluttered. "Where'd you come from?"

"Up there," Ezra said, pointing.

"Where have you been?" Yona demanded. "Jaeha said you were just walking a woman home!"

"I did walk her home," Ezra said frankly. "And then I decided to do some scouting."

"You should've told us--"