41. Make You Feel My Love

Start from the beginning

She managed a small smile. "I will. Thanks."

By the time she had managed to wiggle back into her jeans, her godfather rushed into the room and wrapped his arms around her.

Guilty tears pricked her eyes. "I'm sorry, Matthew," she hiccuped.  "I'm sorry for everything. Leaving Dallas. Blocking your calls..."

His arms tightened around her, albeit careful of her injuries. "You don't owe me an apology. I owe you one—or a hundred. But you have to understand I thought I was doing the right thing. You didn't recognize any of us and when you seemed to know Gabriel, well..."

She pushed away and stared up at him. "It's okay. I finally understand—a lot of things."

He pulled his brows together. "Like what?"

"Like always choosing the wrong person, because I thought they were the kind my dad would want me to marry." She leaned her head against his chest and cried.

"Honey, all he ever wanted is for you to be happy." He smoothed her hair back and rubbed her back soothingly. "Besides, you didn't choose Perry. He chose you. He had an agenda and that's my fault." He sighed, recounting. "When I was with the District Attorney's office, I put his father in prison, where he died. Perry's family lost everything. His mother ended up committing suicide and his sister OD'd. Based on what he told you about never getting caught for his actions, the cops are looking into three other suspicious deaths, all related to his father's case. Pretty sure those will come back to Perry."

Zari hung her head and wiped at her cheeks as errant tears escaped her. "I've made so many bad decisions. I know I've disappointed you."

"Absolutely not!" He pulled back, arms on her shoulders as he stared her down. "I failed you, Zari. Not the other way around. I knew how to handle the boys, but when it came to you, I second guessed myself constantly, and usually made the wrong choice because you're the daughter I've never had. Like convincing Gabriel to go along with my stupid plan. I'm sorry."

She sniffed and shook her head. "No, Matthew. You did that just right. He's everything I've ever wanted and then some. I just hope it isn't too late."

He smiled sympathetically down at her. "He doesn't seem like the type to give up."

"But he left. He could have stayed and fought for me. Right?"

Matthew shook his head sympathetically. "By getting out of the way, maybe he thought you'd be able to see things more clearly. As it turns out, you have. Ask him to come home, and I bet he will."

*

At six a.m. on New Year's Eve, Zari rolled to her back, took a ginger lollipop from the side table and popped it in her mouth. The home remedy for morning sickness worked like a charm. So far, no one had questioned why she'd suddenly developed a sweet tooth.

Last night, she'd taken Matthew's advice and composed a text to Gabriel at least a dozen times only to delete it. She didn't know what to say. I need you. I love you. I'm having your baby.

Her head pounded from crying herself to sleep. After Matthew had gone to bed, she'd undecorated the Christmas tree and taken the boxes to the garage. The presents remained wrapped on the kitchen table. She'd also looked for the ring in the desk drawer, but it was gone. Gabriel must have returned it, which meant he'd decided life with her was out of the question.

Tears pricked her eyes, but she fought them back. No need to cry. This was her fault, and as much as she loved him, she had to accept it wasn't meant to be. Today, she'd move back to Grillenium Falcon.

She strolled down the hall and found Matthew standing at the stove scrambling eggs with Gabriel's History Buff apron. 

"Good morning, sweetie," he grinned. "Breakfast's almost ready. Take a seat."