"He's a liar and a cheat. The sad part of it, I was so gullible that I believed every word. He traveled for work. Two weeks away. Two weeks home. Lies. Nothing but lies. What he was doing was juggling women. The weird part is why he showed up here. There's no way he's in love with me, so that just has me baffled. As soon as I see him, I'll tell him it's over. I want nothing to do with him."

"And what about Gabriel?"

Tears trickled from the corners of her eyes. "That's complicated. I'm not sure how it will turn out." She pulled her phone from her purse. "The first thing I'm going to do is unblock him and my family. Now that I've finally recovered my past, I have to open the lines of communication if I want to move forward." Yeah, because I'm going to have to break the news I'm pregnant. Once more, I'll get to see the disappointment in everyone's eyes.

Zari suddenly sat upright. Her eyes widened. "That's it!" she exclaimed.

Her sudden movement caused Ellie to flinch. "What?"

"It just dawned on me why I've always chosen the wrong people. I've been trying to make up for my shortcomings through landing someone successful. I don't think I loved any of them." It's so clear. Erica, the pre-med student. Raquel, the attorney. Perry, the financial whiz. I chose all of them because I knew that's the kind of person my dad would've wanted for me."

"So, you're saying you chose Gabriel because he's the opposite of what your dad wanted?" Ellie snorted. "You little rebel."

"Rebel? Oh. My. God." Zari shook her head. "Even the name I gave my dog is messed up in my psyche. Before the accident, I made plans to change my life. Dye my hair. Wear different clothes. Be more seductive. I did all of that!  How could anyone love me when I'm such a nutcase?"

"Well, Gabriel sure does. You're the first person he's dated since Rosie. After what he went through with her, he didn't trust anyone. Closed himself off to avoid getting hurt like that again. Understandable, but he took it to a whole new level. You changed all that. Changed him. Back to how he used to be. No matter how complicated things are, give him a chance." She patted Zari's knee. "He's a good guy. He makes mistakes, same as everybody else. But there's no one you'd want more in your corner."

Ellie wheeled into the alley behind the bar and parked next to Zari's car. "You sure you'll be okay? I could take you to Gabriel's house. Sure you're up to driving?"

"Yes, I'll be fine. Now that Dr. Lewis wrapped my cracked ribs, I feel much better. I should have gone sooner. Thanks for taking me. See you later."

Zari got out of the car, went inside, said goodbye to Dale and Jerry, then headed home. It'd be good to sleep in her bed tonight even without Gabriel.

As she drove, she racked her brain trying to figure out what Perry was doing in Parkers Prairie. If the affair with—what was her name? Bella? Beverly? Bethany. Yeah, that was it. If he'd been sleeping with her for over a year, then why me? Not for great sex. That was for sure. He wasn't interested enough to make it good. She'd thought the strain of his job had kept him stressed and aloof.

A flurry of leaves swirled in front of her. As she watched them fall, an image of papers fluttering from a briefcase flashed to mind. Perry's briefcase. She'd hurled it at the floor, then spotted something on the papers as she picked them up. A spreadsheet listing large sums of money. Bank account numbers and passwords. Then passports. Fake IDs. That's the reason for his visit. Now it made sense. She'd seen an offshore account when his briefcase snapped open, and coming here proved he was up to no good. He wanted to make sure she didn't talk.

She turned into the drive and killed the engine. The garage door opener was inside the house. She'd move the car later.

The moment Zari opened the front door, something seemed wrong. Maybe it was knowing this might be the last time she'd be here or the fact this would be the place their child would spend time— without her. Whatever it was caused the hair on her arms to stand on end. Considering everything that had gone on in the last twenty-four hours, no wonder she was uneasy.