A Grain of Truth

Now fully clothed in my battered Gryffindor robes, I made my way down to the common room where Hermione and Parvati were waiting. Both were sat in the comfiest arm chairs by the currently nonexistent fire, but Parvati jumped up when she saw me.

"Everyone's gone!" she said, taking my hand. "Lavender was here, trying to prise all the gossip out of me, but I sent her away with quite a lot more than just a flea in her ear!"

Hermione rose sedately and walked over to me. "What Parvati means is, no one's here to ask any questions. You just go downstairs, eat breakfast, and act like nothing's happened."

"Oh damn! I was planning to have a massive meltdown and disgrace myself in front of the whole school. Guess that's off the cards now."

Hermione laughed sarcastically. "Hilarious. But seriously, just act normal. Please."

I rolled my eyes for what felt like the millionth time that day. "Don't worry. I'll act normal. I won't embarrass you."

"And you won't kill anyone?"

"And I won't kill anyone."

It had become a joke within Gryffindor, that I killed people, but it held more than a grain of truth. During the war, I had never been afraid to curse Deatheaters. Never afraid to kill them. While other students would be firing the distinctive crimson sparks of a Stunning Spell, I would send green everywhere, the cold, cruel Unforgivable Curse.

But making it a joke had helped lighten the mood whenever the inevitable topic of the war came up. None of us really liked talking about it, understandably. We had all lost someone dear to us.

I swallowed a lump in my throat.

Parvati impatiently flicked her head in a hurry up already way, and I obliged. The three of us headed downstairs, Hermione and Parvati in front, me behind, as if they were trying to hide me until the very last minute.

The long walk to the Great Hall, made worse by pangs of what was either butterflies or hunger in my belly, was silent and painful. I knew that both girls in front of me desperately wanted to ask questions, dig the dirt on why we were carrying out this crazy charade, but neither were saying a word, trying to juggle being a good friend and a nosy parker.

Luckily, we soon reached the vast wooden doors of the Great Hall and, for a moment, I was relieved.

Until I realised that Parvati was shoving open the huge door.

The whole world seemed to go totally silent, and all eyes were trained on us, burning into me particularly, all heads turned in our direction.

Boldly, I marched into the room, Hermione and Parvati trailing behind, losing whatever confidence they had had in the common room.

Spying the red heads of Ron and Ginny Weasley, and the dark head of Harry Potter opposite them, I made a beeline for the empty spaces beside them. Parvati went over to where a gaggle of other Gryffindor girls were sat and began to talk to them in hushed tones, no doubt discussing the events that where surely about to unfold.

Hermione followed me, and we plonked ourselves done on the bench. Both Weasleys looked up at me, and Harry followed suit, all clearly expectant.

Calmly and silently, I picked up a piece of toast and began to eat.

Another silence ensued, but after only a couple of seconds, Ron couldn't take it.

"So, you gonna tell us why Seamus' been in a mood for days now, or sit here eating? 'Cause I know what I'd rather you did."

I felt something jerk against my leg as Hermione kicked Ron hard.

"Ow! 'Mione, that hurt!"

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said, refusing to meet his eye. I could see the hint of a smile playing on her lips, nonetheless.

Harry spoke up. "What Ron means is," he said in a clear, even tone. "Please could you explain what you did to make Seamus so... angry? Because whatever it is, we'd like to know now so we ask Madam Pomfrey for more of that bruise-remover cream she gave us."

I laughed unconvincingly. "He's getting physical now, is he? Thank god  I don't have to be in the same room as him any more."

Hermione gasped. "You mean you..."

I nodded curtly.

"You dumped him? No wonder he's such a bloody mess."

"Observant as always, Ron," I replied.

"Yeah, well," he said, reaching for another rasher of bacon. "At least we can fix him now."

I stared at him.

"What?"

"At least we can fix him now. All you need to do is saunter over and sort him out and - BAM! No more dodging Neville's flying remembrall."

"It flies now?" Ginny inquired.

Harry nodded, staring at the floor. Ginny let out a low whistle and turned to me.

"You messed him up pretty bad, Em. Pretty bloody bad."