Chapter N-16

924 AF1.7 - Third Person POV

"So, how'd it go with the board?" (y/n) asked Emerald.

Emerald averted her eyes and sat next to (y/n) on the bed. "Um..." The doctor paused and (y/n) could hear the words that were about to leave her mouth. "There's good news and bad news..."

"Tell me the good news."

"You'll be leaving the hospital tomorrow."

"And the bad?"

A pause hung between the two sitting on the rickety bed. Emerald stared at the ground and (y/n) stared at her intently. "Well...?"

"You're going to be... transferred..." Emerald bit her lip as the words exited her mouth.

(y/n)'s brow furrowed. "Transferred? To where?"

Emerald turned away and held back a tear.

"Prison."

_____

(y/n)'s POV

Four days later

Every day since Emerald broke the news, it's been a struggle. A struggle to do anything. Get out of bed, eat food, relax, all of it. I called Ruby the day after Emerald broke the news to me. Tears were shed and she came to visit me one last time at the hospital. Of course, the next time we see each other, we'll be on opposite sides of the glass, relying on phones to talk.

A metal knocking on the door woke me up. The dull light from the cloudy outdoors came through the small window to illuminate the room. Another knocking on the door echoed through the bland cell of a room. I couldn't find the energy to pull myself out of the uncomfortable plastic bed. I wanted to tell the person on the other side of the door to leave, but I can't find my voice.

"(y/n)?"

Prison.

Prison.

Prison.

Prison.

It still doesn't make sense.

"(y/n)?"

But why?

Prison?

But Oum... Wasn't everything planned out?

If so, why?

"(y/n)?"

"What!"

"Could you open the door?"

"You know it's unlocked."

The metal hinges squeaked as the room's heavy door slowly opened. I buried my face into the plastic pillow as footsteps entered my room. Well, I guess it won't be my room after today.

"(y/n)."

The familiar voice of the technician stood beside me. Miss. Arc was with me since the beginning. Maybe she'll have some answers.

"It's time to get up, (y/n)." 

"Why am I being transferred to prison?" My voice was a bit raspy from sleep.

Arc kneeled down next to the bed. "Do you remember how you got here in the first place?" Her voice was quiet and slightly shaky. Perhaps she didn't want to be the bearer of bad news.

"Yeah. Good point." I quickly end the conversation, not wanting to force Miss. Arc to tell me something I already know.

Well, at least it all makes sense now. Of course, mass murder and shooting would take you to prison. Coming to this hospital was just a detour from the trip. I guess not everything is destined to go well. Was there ever a time Emerald and I didn't end up together? Was this the first time? Maybe.

"C'mon." Arc patted me on the back and stood up. "It's time for us to go."

I slowly rolled over and out of bed. My (h/c) hair was dishevelled and scrubs were crumpled. I look up to see the blonde tech standing in front of me, eyes shining from the beginnings of tears.

"Arc..." I reach out to place a hand on her shoulder, but another tech grabs my wrist and stops me. "Wha-" Almost as fast as lightning, handcuffs were locked onto my wrists behind my back.

"Hey, Arc... Look at me. Thanks for everything you've done. It's gonna be alright, alright?"

"Of course." She looked up and we met eye to eye. Arc's eyes glistened with small tears. "Mr. Positivity, eh?" She let out a small, sad chuckle.

"Always."

Miss. Arc placed a hand on my shoulder. "Time to get going."

_____

The Natural Order