The collapse

Think well before you let go...

The wetness on her face let me know that she had again cried herself to sleep. Even though I couldn't bear her tears, I couldn't tell her about Lara either. Simply because I didn't know where we stood, I didn't know where to go, or who to choose. People say that if you ever fall in love twice, then choose the second person you fell in love with because if you truly loved the first person you wouldn't have fallen for the second one. But they didn't say how hard it would be to let go of the woman who shared ten years of your life.

I looked again at my wife's face and went to the spare room to sleep. The next morning, she was gone. She took along our two-year-old son, well, he was more her son than mine, to be honest. I hadn't even assisted with his birth, let alone seen him do his first steps. She had always been the one by his side whether she was fine or not. She was already playing both the role of father and mother while I was out enjoying with Lara. 

She was gone but she had left a letter in which she told me that she knew about my betrayal, she also wished me good luck, she had also left divorce papers and both her engagement and wedding rings. In five years of dating plus ten years of marriage, my wife... I mean, my now ex-wife had always been submissive while I was the dominant one. I would take the decisions and she would go by them. The fact that for the first time she decided, and that too she decided to end our marriage was sounding like a joke, a not-so-funny joke. I couldn't digest the fact that SHE was leaving me when I wanted to do the same to her, the bastard that I was. 

As I sip my red wine while waiting for my now ten-year-old son to come, I can really think about the consequences of my actions. She had left me and three years later, she had married a man from Ottawa, Canada. When she met him, she also decided to forgive me because she wanted to not hold any grudges for things of the past. We had managed to be good friends and I had made great efforts with her current husband to give a stable environment for our son. I would be lying now if I tell you that I don't regret my betrayal. I don't regret it for her because she is now happy and she has this glow on her face every time I see her... I regret this betrayal because I was the one who lost at the end of the day. I lost everything I had for a mere attraction which I understood was one when everything was over. 

I finish my red wine and go to open the door, my son has just arrived. 

"Daddy!" He squealed as he sees me and I hug him. Here she is standing with her husband, Eliott, and their three-year-old daughter, Maisie. 

"I'm sorry, we have to go, Maisie is sick, we will get to chat some other time. Everything you need for Josh is in his bag and Eliott will be picking him up tomorrow night. Bye guys, enjoy yourself and Josh please don't be naughty!" She says and off she disappears like a draught. I rush my hand through my son's hair as we go back inside. People say that you realize a person's value when they walk away from you, and that is so true, now I have to live a life that collapsed eight years ago because of my deeds. 

@ChristineGomes2 Hi, I don't know if you'd be able to read this but I'm just tagging you to let you know about that collection of small stories I've just started :*

@Pinkisaha2012

@Thesoulfulgirl

@pollyanna_26

@JesheeLove

@sizzlingshivangi