Chapter 6: Not my Oran!

I gaze into his familiar eyes to find his answer.

"Thea, I didn't intend to take the mission at first but I saw a picture of you and I changed my mind..."

I was waiting for him to say more but he didn't. So, I got closer to him and cradle his face with my hands. "What about me that changed your mind?"

"Your face haunted me before I saw your file..."

"What do you mean?"

"The same way Oran haunted your dreams," he said raspy and brought his hands to envelope my hands.

"I see," I said as the overwhelming feeling of familiarity took over me. Before I knew it I was closing the space between us and I beckoned him to say more.

"I first saw you when I was twelve. We were walking in the field. Suddenly, the feeling of dread came over me. I saw you frantically grabbing onto me. You were pleading for me to help you. Before, I can help you, you disappeared right in front of me. It was the same dream every night. I stop dreaming of you when I meet you."

I didn't I was holding my breath until Brian called out to me. "Thea, you okay?" He looked at me with concern.

"Yes, I am." I hugged him with so much might and hunger. "Thank you for finding me. I'm so sorry that I have been difficult."

"It's okay. I should have been more truthful."

Like an alarm we hear, "You guys made up!"

"Phillip! What did I say about boundaries?"

"I was not even eavesdropping. I just happen to hear what they were saying!"

"Come here."

"Owww, you're hurting me."

Brian and me just looked at each other and laughed hard. We went to eat dinner without anymore incident.

"So, how were lessons?"

"She's doing wonderful." Said Brian with pride.

"I'm only doing well because of him." I said with a smile in return.

Phillip and Lee-Anna exchanged a knowing smile and we continued the night talking about our lives.

"When I first meet Lee-Ann, I was hunting these pair of rogue demons. Of course, Lee-Ann is a freelance hunter. I didn't realize she was one until she kicked me square in the face."

I looked at Lee-Ann, the blue eyed and blonde girl with amazement and noted to myself that the saying 'don't judge a book by its cover is true'.

"Well, you caught me in the moment, Philip. Like I said you have boundary issues!" She said as playfully swatted Philip away.

"I can't help it! I'm perfect gentleman. I saw a lady in distress and I offer my help."

"I was going in for the kill. The only vulnerability they have is when they open their mouths. They only opened their mouths when they are about to eat."

"So, there's demons?"

"Yes but don't worry the more refined demons don't bother humans. It is the rogues you should worry about. Just like us they are capable of being good or bad."

"Oh." Demons and Vampires, oh my. "So, Oran is a rogue?"

"Yes but in the strictest sense he is not true vampire. He is more manifestation of evil magic or misuse of magic."

"So, why is so important that I don't become Oran's 'mate'?"

My question brought on silence and then, Brian cleared his throat and proceeded to explain, "Mates for any sepieces really brings out the best in one another especially if they are endowed with magic. Oran use of magic calling more darkness to our world because he wants to rule this world. So, if he succeeds in mating with you his powers will multiply immensely and we can't let that happen."

"How are they sure that we were mates?"

"First, you guys have this immediate connection on physical and spiritual. Second, you guys will share dreams. Third, you both share a mark but it will appear once they truly except one another."

"What kind of mark?"

"You and Oran's mark would be unique to you and him."

"Okay, but I only shared one of the three with him. I don't think I am his mate."

Brian reached over for my hand and said, "I don't believe it either but I have read the file and it clearly builds the case that you are. Look around the time you guys were mates. There were a lot of young girls who life force was drained from them."

"NO! You are wrong. We never hurt anyone. I know Oran better than you." I got from the chair and walked out of the room. I can't believe Brian would say that. How could he believe that I can hurt people?

How could he what?

Oran?

Yes, it's me. So what did your boyfriend say?

I can't talk to him. I can't trust...not yet.

It's nothing. Leave me alone.

No, your sadness is my sadness too, my dearest.

He said you killed people but I know that you didn't kill anyone. When I was with you never took a life unless it was necessary. I believe in you.

Thank you for believing in me. I'm almost there. Wait for me.

What? How?!

There's no magic that can hide you from me.

I panicked. I started to try to find something to protect me. I grabbed the vase and broke it. I picked the largest shard. I readied myself for Oran. Oran materialized in front of me with a smile and he made his way to like cat ready to pounce his prey.

"Now, is that how you greet your mate, Thea?"

"Oran, you cannot take me against my will."

"No, I can't but I WILL convince you."

Suddenly, I heard a loud noise coming from downstairs. Oran used the distraction and he quickly knock the shard out my hand. My body automatically remembered what Brian has taught me.

"I see you learned to defend yourself but too bad it is not enough!"

We locked in a standstill. My strength is slowly dwindling. In my moment of desperation, I heard whispering like before.

Adducere Lux

"Adducere Lux!"

Like lightning, a light shot out from my heart and weakened Oran. I took the moment to tackle Oran and I was about to deliver a glass shard through his heart but I was stopped.

"Don't you dare do that bitch! If you want your lover boy to live, then drop the weapon."

I saw that Brian was knocked out cold and bleeding. The man was headlocking Brian.

"Don't hurt him..." I said

Once I put down the glass shard and the light retreated. Oran overpowered me and all at once everything went dark.