18

"What the f--"

"Scott," I say, cutting Chris off before he can start his long string of cuss words. He starts towards the door, but I race in front, pulling Scott inside and slamming it closed before Chris can go punch Parker in the face. Chris charges the door just as I slide in front of it, and Scott reads my mind as he grabs Chris to hold him back.

"Easy, buddy," Scott says.

Chris tries to wriggle free from his brother, but Scott surprisingly does a good job at keeping his grip. When we were kids, Chris was usually the one to pin Scott down when we would play wrestle. Even I could pin Scott down. He always lost, but if any time was the time for him to win one, now was that time.

"What the hell is he doing here?!" Chris spits, veins showing from his anger. He only stares at the door as if he can see right through it and kill Parker with his gaze, even though I stand in between.

I wince watching him like this. I was barely able to hold him back at Leonie's that day when he almost started a fight with Parker. I don't know what will be able to stop him now.

"You stay here," I say, trying my best to sound calming. "I'll go talk to him and find out."

This causes Chris to struggle even more. "The hell you are!" he shouts, fighting Scott more forcefully now. "I don't want you near him!"

I raise my eyebrows, crossing my arms. "You can't tell me what to do," I tell him, becoming pissed. I've heard the full story now. I know the bad blood between them. Before, I understood why he didn't want me to talk to Parker; he was paranoid because Dani was cheating on him for Parker. But now? "You're not my boyfriend," I murmur.

For a moment, Chris is so stunned he stills in Scott's grip. Over Chris' shoulder, I see Scott watch me with wide eyes and a gaping mouth. But I can't look at either of them at the moment. I feel my heart wrench in my chest, and I turn around and open the door. I slam it behind me just as I hear Chris start to call after me again.

And I just rest my forehead against the closed door, because suddenly, I feel as if I can't move any further. Sobs shudder through me, my body aching. Chris, is all it seems to say. I yearn for him. I yearn to run back in the room and pull him into my arms, to tell him that I am his. But I know I can't. This situation is too messy, and right now, I seem to be the only one who can clean it.

I gather myself and wipe my face, and then all I have to do is focus on placing one foot in front of the other. Left, right. Left, right.

Parker stands in the entryway. No one else seemed to notice the newcomer to the party, all of the Evans's still gathered in the living room. He stands kicking his feet, but once he sees me enter, he lifts his chin and smiles.

"Charlotte," he says, grinning. "I thought I might see you here.. Actually, that's why I'm here."

I run my tongue over my teeth, skeptical. "I thought you were here to see Chris."

"Well, both of you, really," he says. The smile on his face weakens, and he looks to his feet. I raise my eyebrows, surprised to see him suddenly acting so meek. "I... I wanted to apologize. Before he left, at least. I figured he'd be upset leaving you behind at campus with me if we were still on bad terms."

For a moment, I am dumbfounded. From the moment I met Parker, Chris made him out to be some terrible guy, and I believed him, especially after hearing the full story about their past. But then again, Chris and Parker were once best friends. That means there has to be a side of Parker that isn't a complete dickhead. And I think that side is showing now, because he seems sincere in his apology.