daughters- john mayer

play while reading:)
italic bold- lyrics

i know a girl
she puts the color inside of my world

i walk into the bedroom, throwing everything onto the corner chair and collapsing on the bed, the heaviness of sleep over taking me. it feels like hours since i've touched a bed. but, just mere hours ago, we were waking up in this beautiful california king. goddamnit. i could go for a coffee right now. an iced coffee with almond milk of course. maybe from philz. i breathe in and out slowly, waiting. just waiting. it was coming, don't you worry.

"mommy?" i groan, there it was. i slowly get up, basking in the two seconds of rest i got.

"yes, ella? what's wrong sweetie?" i ask, calling out into the hallway while still laying on the bed. a head pops from the door and a sweet, but not so innocent little face appears. ella. she notices me getting up from the bed and runs towards it, jumping head first into the blankets. i stifle a laugh and walk over to find her in the mess of blankets i love so much.

"ella baby, where are you?" i ask, pretending to not know where she is. her head pops out again and she gives me a big toothed smile.

"here mommy!!" she throws her head back and laughs at herself and i climb into bed with her. she quickly snuggles into my arms and sighs.

but, she's just like a maze
where all of the walls all continually change

"mommy? where's daddy?" she asks me for the billionth time. daddy's girl through and through. i look down at her by my side and she is playing with her hair.

"ella, you know he just went to the store. he'll be back soon en-," and i barely finished my sentence before the door slams and ella jumps up.

"daddy!! daddy!!" she screams running down the hall and down the stairs.
"ella! ella!" he yells back, egging her on. I laugh, getting myself out of bed and out into the hall to see all the ruckus. i approach the ahhh, someone joined him. i approach the balcony to see an extra person in the foyer. company.

"uncle grayson!! come and look what i got!!" ella exclaims in glee. grayson laughs and follows ella into the living room, leaving one more person in the foyer. just the person i was looking for. he looks up sensing my eyes on him and he smiles. i quickly run down the stairs as fast as my body can take me and engulf him in a hug.

"i missed you e. never leave me home alone with her again." i tell him jokingly. he pulls me closer to him and laughs.

"you birthed her, em. you got to deal with her at least an hour." he tells me and then bends down to my stomach.

fathers, be good to your daughters
daughters will love like you do
girls become lovers who turn into mothers
so mothers be good to your daughters, too

"little one, are you going to cause problems for your mother? just like your sister?" he told my stomach. i throw my head back in laughter. ella in the end, isn't a pain. she just knows how to push my buttons. ethan pets my belly lovingly a couple times before getting up and holding my hand. i lean into him and smile.

"two more months and there will be four in the house. and it's not just me who birthed the little devil. it takes two to tango, mister." i tell him and walk into the kitchen. he growls.

"she's right, ethan!" grayson adds laughing at the counter. ella is now showing him her entire collection of barbies. wonderful job ells. i walk over to my brother-in-law and he looks up from the intense conversation he's having with ella.

"coffee?" i ask him and he shakes his head. ethan immediately walks to the other side of the room, to start.

"how's e number two doing?" grayson says, referring to the bun in the oven. i protectfully place my hand on my bump.

"the usual. keeping me up at night, giving me giant ass back pains and keeping me from my one true love, coffee." i shrug and he doubles over in laughter. nice to see him laughing over my pain.

"aren't i your one true love, em?" ethan adds from the other side of the kitchen, where he is making the holy sacred coffee.

"nope, not when you constantly torture me with that coffee, knowing i can't have it." i cross my arms in playful anger. i turn back to grayson.

"how's the wife?" i ask him.

"she's doing good. we are enjoying the time off from the kiddos. they are at the inlaws for two weeks. i missed having kids around though, so i decided to check up on ella." he said referring to the devil sitting in the chair next to me, quietly playing with her barbies. why couldn't she act like this when it was just the two of us?

a woman's good, good heart
on behalf of every man
looking out for every girl
you are the god and weight of her world

grayson's kids were even more handfuls and he dealt with them pretty good. i look up at e, to see him looking right at me.

'i love you,' he whispered across the room. i sit there thinking slowly and his smile turns into a frown. i grin.

'i love you more, eth,' i whisper right over. he shakes his head and goes back to making coffee for his brother.

"let's go outside and enjoy some fresh air." i suggest and grab ella's hand. she follows me to the door and outside on the deck looking over lagoona beach. grayson soon joins us at the table and starts a conversation with ethan who joins us shortly after. with the coffees. the smell is heavenly. ella goes in the sand pit and decides to make a sandcastle and guess who has to clean it later... this pregnant lady. i sigh looking over at the twin brothers next to me talking and i smile. i look back at the three-year old playing in the sand.

so fathers, be good to your daughters
daughters will love like you do
girls become lovers who turn into mothers

i look down and place my hands on my belly and rub it affectionately. i know its going to be another girl. but eth, doesn't need to know that.

"i love you baby everly" and i truly did. what a wonderful world, she was going to grow up in:)

so, mothers be good to your daughters too...