10 - Being Late

I'm going to add a couple of chapters about their past, let me know what you think of it. (: 

. . .

THE PAST

Norah had refused to be brought to school by her mother. Being dropped off by your mom at your first day of school – she would look like a freshman instead of a senior. She wanted to make a good first impression. It was bad enough that she had to go to a school where everyone knew each other for years. She had moved to Harlem this weekend, so she knew no one. There had been nobody who could have given her a ride.

She didn't have a driver's license herself. Her mother had lost her little sister due to a car crash and she didn't want to see Norah behind the wheel before her 21th birthday. There had been many fights about it, but every discussion ended in her mother in tears so that Norah gave in time and again. Once she went to college, she would make her own rules. 

And so, Norah had been condemned to the bus. Whether it was because of her nervousness or her sleepy head; she had taken the wrong one, which she only realized after fifteen minutes. A bystander had explained the route back, and even though Norah had left the house almost an hour too early, she was still fifteen minutes too late when she reached the empty schoolyard.  

Well – it wasn't completely empty. A few feet in front of her walked another student, hands deep in his pockets, his jeans so low that she could see a large part of his blue boxers. Nora quickened her pace so she was walking next to him, slightly panting because she had ran from the busstop to the school. Talking to strangers had never bothered her, so she got over her insecurity quickly. 

"Hi!"

The boy turned his head to the side, as if he hadn't noticed her before. For a moment she thought to see annoyance crossing his face, then he lifted the corner of his mouth, his eyes wandering across her body. 

Boys... she thought, feeling frustrated. They're all the same. 

"I'm too late. On my first day here. And I have no idea where to go." Opening the front pocket of her backpack, she took out the timetable and shoved the paper under his nose. "Look. I gotta go to that classroom. I've Spanish."

"Yo los llevaré." He winked. 

Norah bit her bottom lip. She had always found Spanish speaking men sexy, and this Hispanic guy was suddenly a lot more interesting. 

"That is, if I get something in return." A mischievous grin crossed his face. 

Questioning, she raised her eyebrows.

As they walked towards the entrance of the school, he casually laid his hand on the small of her back. "Can I take you out?"

Although Norah liked his immediacy, she knew better than admitting that. "You always ask girls out before you know their names?"

He shrugged his shoulders. "Whatever your name is, it doesn't make you less beautiful."

Norah hated the pinpricks she felt in her fingers. She didn't want to feel flattered – he was a typical slick. "Bring me to my classroom first, then we'll see." Her voice sounded cold.

He chuckled softly and made a mocking curtsy. "Whatever pleases you, milady."

She rolled her eyes, but her lips curled up. "Why are you too late anyway?" she asked him. His hand still rested on her lower back, with which he gently forced her to the left. It was strange, but she no longer felt nervous, like she had taken over some of his nonchalance.