07 - Stupid Ideas

Phobos couldn't believe her eyes. 

That guy – that had been her lover? She had wanted to marry him? Some... gangster?! Many days she had wondered what kind of person she had been, but the thought that she would have hung out with that kind of people had never crossed her mind.

Nor the idea that she could love such a man. 

"You're a murderer," she answered coldly. 

He shrugged his shoulders. "And you and your friends aren't? You didn't exactly come to me to give me a lapdance..."

Her jaw tensed. What an asshole. And he didn't even seem happy to see his "old lover" again.

"We're leaving," she said to Erebus. She didn't want to spend another minute with that dick in one room. If dark secrets like that were obfuscating her past, she doubted she even wanted to know more. 

"Where do you want to go?"

"I don't care." Briefly she glanced at Shades' face. She tried to ignore it, but his distant attitude hurt. She had expected people to react differently on her return – and especially the one she had loved. "I just need to get away from him."

"You do wanna keep him alive?"

She wanted to look him in the  eye, but his sunglasses prevented her from doing so. "For now," she answered. In case she changed her mind and wanted answers; it would be stupid to put the only one who could provide her these in a grave. 

"We can also lock him up in the cupboard and use his house," Psamathe suggested. "He seems to be the type of person who wants to keep business and his private life separated, and I doubt he has a lot of friends."

"No," she muttered. Shades still created the impression that he was the one who was in control and his arrogance was getting under skin. She didn't want to be around him. She just wanted a back-up plan. 

"I have a second house," Shades said. "Outside the city. In case I need some peace. Which doesn't happen very often, I got to admit that."

Suspiciously Phobos squeezed her eyes. "Why the hell would you want to help us?"

"Not them. You." He shrugged. "Why don't you take off my cuffs, so I can clean myself  up and take you to dinner. Then we can catch up. Maybe I'll even trigger some memories."

She pursed her lips. "That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard."

"Only because you don't remember my other ideas, honey." A smirk crossed his face. 

She inhaled deeply. What the hell was she supposed to do with this? Seeking for help, she looked at Erebus. His dark glance told her that he wasn't happy with the proposition at all. But what if it had been about his past, about his memories? 

"Fine," she gave in. Her curiosity prevailed. If she wouldn't take the invitation she would probably regret it later – although it remained to be seen if she wouldn't regret this. She walked towards him, grabbed the remote controller from the couch and broke the glass cuffs with a few firm ticks. "Go clean yourself up."

He rubbed his wrists and attached his glasses to his shirt pocket. His eyes were holding hers, an arrogant smirk curling up his lips. "Why don't you join me in the shower hmm?"

She sent him a deadly glare, making him chuckled. 

"Okay, too soon. I get it." He winked and got on his feet. "We'll get there, in time."

With clenched teeth she watched him leave until he disappeared behind a door. 

"You really think this is a good idea?" Erebus asked. He sat down on the armrest of the other couch, stroking Athena's hair. 

"I have no idea," she muttered. 

Although she knew it wasn't. Having dinner with a gangster who had killed her friend just a few hours ago, sounded like an extremely ridiculous plan. 

She however didn't change her mind. 

Yet.