Chapter 46 - Secrets Buried Deeply in the Night

Start from the beginning

"Experiment 7!"

"Yes, yes. I'm here." The young girl, or Experiment 7, made a face. "Keep your stupid voice down though. Your unsightly face is making me nauseous."

The woman's face abruptly darkened at the young girl's mocking tone. The sneer on her lips vanished and her unhealthily pale face suddenly held a fearsome craze as if she was hovering closely near the line of insanity.

"Experiment 7! You really want to die?! Hahaha, I don't mind granting you your wish! I've always wanted to pull out that disgusting tongue of yours before ripping out your heart and pinning it on my wall!"

"Sure, sure!" The girl brightly smiled back. "As soon as I kill this outsider first, you can try all you want!"

Feng Yao was silent the entire time as she watched.

These people have to be the products of that man's human experimenting.

The first creature that she had fought against, although it no longer retained any human consciousness, had seemed to possess an unnatural ability of agility and strength that was almost impossible for a being as emaciated as it was to have.

And going based on this conversation in front of her, it sounded like these three people also had their own special upgrades. 

...That's a bit scary. Many of these people were already skilled criminals and martial artists before coming to hide in the wandering village. 

If all of the people here are the ones that survived the experiments, just how much stronger are they now?

Feng Yao lowered her eyes and secretly glanced around, scanning over the faces of everyone that she could see. Although the skies had already gotten quite dark, the faint moonlight allowed her small glimpses of people's features.

Unfortunately, none of them were familiar to her.

She was ashamed that she felt a slight sliver of relief at realizing that that man was not here. But more than that, she felt a heavy wave of frustration rise up in her heart from being a step behind his scheming mind. 

It felt like she had reverted back to those times as a child, obediently obeying his commands without realizing the countless amounts of people she unknowingly sentenced to death with each sentence she spoke in that large room.

But if that man isn't here...then where is he?

And more importantly...if he truly did leave, then there's no way that he'd leave this many people roaming free on their own.

Her eyes flickered back up to stealthily watch the three people still viciously arguing.

Suddenly, she realized something.

There were countless other people waiting silently in the darkness, but why were they not attacking her either? 

She could see it in all of their eyes. There was the same wild, almost maniacal light in every person's predatory gaze on her.

But, not a single one of them made a move.

What am I missing?

Feng Yao took a closer look at the people in the shadows. 

About half of them had some type of hideous deformity while the others looked almost normal. Most of them still seemed to have kept their human appearance after the experiments. 

Unlike the three people that had stepped out though, many of them were carrying weapons such as axes, daggers, and swords. It seemed that they weren't as powerful as the three.