Chapter 48 - The Truth Intertwined with Despair

A/N: So super sorry for the long wait! Since it's been a while, here's a brief recap of what's happened so far:

After separating from our favorite potato hubby and stumbling upon the mysterious Mr. Uncle and a pair of young siblings, Feng Yao is shocked when she discovers that the younger brother of the two has the exact same concoction of poisons coursing through his body as hers. Realizing that this must be the work of the person from her past, she quickly works to save him with the use of the specially made antidote that she always keeps on her body.

This event, along with the deadly rumors circulating around about unexplained corpses appearing around the area, forces Feng Yao to journey through the heavy snowfall to find the infamous wandering village with the help of the older sister of the two children. But upon arriving, Feng Yao realizes just how serious the situation is after discovering that all of the villagers have been forcibly transformed through unnatural experimentation into crazed blood-thirsty and physically enhanced humans. 

Barely surviving the multiple encounters with the various villagers and the creature that evolved from one of them, Feng Yao seeks shelter in a hidden underground room only to discover a malnourished little boy with white hair hiding inside. Unwilling to leave him, she takes him under her wing and is able to sneak the both of them safely out of the village. However, just as Feng Yao realizes that the young girl that is supposed to meet her outside is missing, the young girl's scream rings out from within the wandering village.

Now, enjoy the chapter!

*   *   *   *   *

Feng Yao's head whipped around to look at the entrance of the dark tunnel in horror. Although the figure of the girl was not there, in her mind, the bloodied sight of the girl's mangled body was already lying there alone in the snow, a silent scream forever etched on her young face. 

The unnervingly realistic vision made Feng Yao's breathing hitch in fear with her heart almost stopping. 

Before she knew it, she had already tucked the little boy in her arms in between two large boulders for safety and was sprinting back into the darkness of the tunnel, praying for a miracle.  

Please, please be okay! 

With one last push from her legs, she burst into the clearing on the other side. At once, her eyes were blinded by the harsh moonlight dancing on the bloody snow around her, drowning her eyes in a landscape of silver and red. 

But within seconds, her eyes had already shot through the blinding colors and straight across the sea of dead bodies before sharply latching onto a  distinct figure in the distance. 

Within the masses of rotting flesh stood the creature from before, its teeth bared wide open in a snarl that had long become stained with blood. As if searching for something, the creature continuously whirled around in a frenzy with its remaining eye madly darting from pile to pile.

Feng Yao immediately ducked behind a group of corpses, hoping that the overwhelming scent of blood in the air was enough to temporarily mask her presence while she scanned her surroundings. However, the person that she was looking for was nowhere to be found.

The girl had clearly been here a moment ago. The angry grunts and shrieks increasing in intensity from the creature were enough to indicate that. 

But where was she now?

Feng Yao quickly glanced over the mountains of flesh and bones around her, but after finding nothing out of the ordinary, she turned her attention to the abandoned homes in the distance. 

Could she have escaped to over there? She may have been able to find shelter inside of a building.

...No. That's impossible.