17. the family

there's a rumor going 'round and 'round and 'round
what ya say we make it true, baby?

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 1st

MACKENZIES FRIEND GROUP CONSISTED
of lexi, johnny, hayden, carson, and brynn for the longest time. this past year, carson and brynn dated, broke up, and expected the group to pick sides. because they were all such good friends, no one could and both left the group in anger.

hayden and john ended up getting a lot closer due to this and so did kenzie and lexi. eventually it was just two and two, who occasionally hung out.

it was sad to see kenzie's 'best friends' no longer 'best friends', but lexi was always her number one. besides, her and johnny hung out every now and then. whether it was roller skating or dunkin runs.

mackenzie felt like she had no one. lexi cared more about joey than her. john hated her. maddie and her mother will probably never want to talk to her again.

everything was just falling apart.

until

ding ding ding

johnny🥰
we need to talk
i shouldn't have acted
like that

me
we do
and it's ok
i deserved it
i'm sorry

johnny🥰
don't say sorry

me
i'll be home in 30 minutes
pick me up & we can talk :)

johnny🥰
perfect
see you then
seen

her heart fluttered at the texts. how can she be so mean and him still want to be her friend, or maybe even more.

her mind drifted at the thought.

coffee runs everyday. his arm around her waist. the feeling of his lips. dinner with his family, him eating dinner with hers.

that's all she wanted.

she was tired of doing everything for everyone else. she's not going to date a boy, because the school wants her to. she's going to date the boy, because she wants to.

and hopefully he does too.

the uber stopped in front of her house and she happily jumped out of the car and ran through the front door.

her mother was in the kitchen when she heard the door open.

"maddie? are you expecting someone?"

"it's me, mom," mackenzie said in a quiet voice.

"mackie? it's only been an hour," her mother stated, confused.

"i went to the restaurant. i saw him, but he was with his new family too. it made me realize that-" she hesitated, "that it wasn't your fault. he chose someone else. so i left and now i'm here."

"oh baby," melissa frowned, "i'm so sorry."

she walked towards mackenzie and stuck out her arms. she graciously accepted and fell into her mothers arms. "i am so sorry," she said, while suddenly crying. "i am just so sorry."

maddie wondered downstairs and saw the scene. she assumed the dinner did not go well, and decided it would be a good time for a family hug.

the 3 girls all stood in a group, holding each other as tight as they could. they knew that no matter what happened, they will always have each other.

wise words of abby
idk what to say here so
VOTE AND COMMENT