Information for Judges & Scoring

If you are interested in becoming a judge please look for the judges form chapter of this book. 

Some information for judging:

Becoming a judge requires a love for reading and helping the writers improve their skills and their pieces. This means that when it comes time for reviews for the winners that you CAN NOT be lazy or vague. Imagine how you would feel if you asked for a deep, thoughtful review and somebody said "It was good. Liked the plot. Main character is cool." Writers want to know what they can improve upon and what is good about their stories. Be specific and be thoughtful. Honesty is also important but honesty does not mean rudeness. You can point out particular points that don't make sense or that you think could be better without being mean.

Now, if you think you're up for the challenge, here's some rules for judging.

We are judging on a point scale and you are required to read at least five chapters. It is your choice to read beyond that. In the case of poetry and short story you must read the entirety of the piece.

Cover & Summary: 0/5 points

Vocabulary/Spelling/Grammar: 0/5 points

Plot & Originality: 0/5 points

Character Development: 0/5 points

Total: 0/20 points

Half points are allowed.

There will be no rounds of judging. Each category will have a maximum of 15 entries and that must be brought down to the 3 winners. You may also have a runner up (4th) if you feel that this is necessary. We are trying to showcase talented writers and their hard work so while not required, a runner up for each category would be an amazing addition.