один

It was going to be a shit day today. Alex knew immediately what was in store for him the very second his opened his eyes. There was a deep ache rippling through his bones. A numb, hollow feeling blowing throughout his corpse like he was completely void of everything, save for his heart steadily pounding in his chest louder than it should be.

Alex opted to just roll over, tears welling up in his eyes as he dreaded the day ahead. These days were always the worst, when everything would hit him hard and the demons he stored away in the back corners of his mind would come out of their caves to whisper nasty things to him. Then those days were sometimes accompanied by the rampant worried thoughts that flew through his mind at a million kilometers a minute. Alex could only assume today was one of those days by his heart beating against his rib cage like it was trying desperately to escape.

Alex spent the following two hours, right up until 2:00 PM, fading between consciousness and unconsciousness. He'd really planned on staying in bed all day, not wanting to face the world and just trying to skip the day. He wanted to fade into his bedsheets and let his mind clean itself up so he could be better tomorrow. Apparently, though, his good mate, George, had other plans for him. Alex nearly jumped out of his skin when his door slammed open and George waltzed in, puffing out a breath of air.

"Your boyfriend is here. Told me if I wasn't playing that FIFA with him then you were." George said, obnoxious and obviously irritated at having his day absolutely destroyed by a match of bloody FIFA.

"My boyfriend?" Alex asked, voice rough and confused, rolling over to face George.

"James." George said before leaving Alex's room with the door still wide open. Alex just shook his head, sliding up to lean against the headboard and rubbing his eyes.

Alex was out of his room, clad in socks and a hoodie, in under two minutes. He made his way into the lounge area where James was sat fiddling with the game and checking his phone every ten seconds. Alex sat down beside James, folding his legs underneath himself and pressing his arm up against James' in some nonchalant attempt at grounding himself. Because despite being sat on a couch with his best mate, he felt like he was a dragon in a petting zoo. A sad, sad dragon, that is.

"Oh, hello." James said, chuckling and setting his phone down after feeling Alex sit beside him.

"Hey." Alex weakly responded back, leaning forward to grab a controller off of the floor before setting back into place beside James.

Alex and James spent a good two hours playing. Alex was mostly silent but still but was still managing to play the games despite how often he lost focus and how he'd have to slow his breathing down every twenty or so minutes.

James had set his controller down after the eighth match in a row he'd won to look at a notification he'd received on his phone. Alex just leaned his head against James' shoulder, sinking into the couch and staring into space.

"Alex, Fraser's just broken the microwave." James paused after that, sighing in annoyance. "I've gotta head back. You can come if you'd like, doesn't seem like George will be much entertainment."James nodded towards George's closed door which, to Alex's surprise, was emitting noises of what Alex could only assume was George and his girlfriend. Alex made a gagging noise and a disgusted face at James who just raised his eyebrows and laughed.

"Yeah, I'll come." Alex agreed, standing up from the couch.

"George as well I reckon." James responded in a quiet tone, grinning.

"Disgusting, James." Alex sighed out, shaking his head but smiling nonetheless.

Alex and James left the flat shortly thereafter, Alex having to slip on pants and shoes first and having to tear his gaze away from the mirror before he ruins his day even more. Alex sent a text to George in the cab on the way back to James' flat that he knew wouldn't be seen in hours.