Chapter 21 - She Should've Known Better

How hard can it be to find a backpack...

A question of upmost importance, really. But let's just rephrase it real quick.

How hard can it be to find a huge yet reliable and convenient backpack in a ridiculously large shopping center with enough floors to lose count of and then promptly get lost...?

Ah yes, suddenly everything makes sense.

It was supposed to be a fun chance for everyone to get together for some bonding while also conveniently checking off a bunch of items from the long list of necessary equipment for their upcoming training camp.

That week-long summer trip was such an exciting thought. Forget the training part – think about all the late-night get-togethers, tests of courage, bonding time, gossip, girl talk-

You get the point. It was going to be great. So there was no need to ruin such positive feelings with the painful reminder that they were going to do some serious training that was the aforementioned list.

Atsuhi had eyed it quickly once and then taken a careful and slow read through it later, realizing she was very well-off for the most part. There were a few pesky items she was missing though.

And hey, not like there was any reason for complaint – as per Toru's suggestion, nearly the entire class had decided to go shopping together!

The nearly part is a crucial detail though because two people had refused to come along. Todoroki, who stated he had someone to visit. And Bakugo. Atsuhi was feeling quite torn on this one. At first, she was a little upset as time was sure to pass by quicker if she had someone to talk to. But then she remembered a certain revelation. Then her face became bright red.

And she decided that perhaps this was all for the best – maybe she needed some time to properly sort out her thoughts. There was a big difference between realizing something and then coming to terms with. Atsuhi wasn't ready to make such a big jump quite yet. One step at a time sounded much better.

But now, while walking around, hopelessly looking for a place that even remotely looked like it might offer what she needed, she was suddenly second-guessing that conclusion. Was walking out here all alone and aimlessly musing over such things really better than having Bakugo here to talk to, even if it was bound to be a little more awkward for her?

Speaking of, being left alone like that really sucked. Well, it's not like she was deliberately left alone. More like, everyone else had decided what they were doing in next to no time and split off into smaller groups to go to the appropriate stores. Meanwhile, she just kind of sat there.

In the end, I can't complain... It was my fault after all...

I guess I could've tagged along with Midoriya-kun and Ochaco-chan since they were the last ones left but...

It just wouldn't be right. I almost feel like I would just be third-wheeling. That's a weird way to put it. It's just the vibe I'm getting. Wonder why.

...

Why do I have a sneaking suspicion I am yet again not noticing something really, really obvious...

Oh well. We can't all be observant.

Instead, the female sighed, finally accepting her fate, to put it more dramatically. As she reached up to fix her ponytail (she had thought it would be cool to change things up a little today) she walked on, eyeing up more stores. But not for long.