Chapter 26 - Valentine's Bash

Start from the beginning

"Where do you think you're going?" Fred asks, as he and George stand in front of me smiling.

"I'm meeting Oliver if you must know. It is Valentine's Day after all" I reply innocently, walking around the pair of them, just as George's ears turn red.

"You're a bit dressed up for something silly like a little walk in the Quidditch Pitch or going to the Owlery" Fred says laughing lightly.

"I guess you're right. But it's a bit late too change Freddie, so he will just need to deal with me and my hideous appearance the way it is" I say smirking and twirling at the pair of them, before pushing open the portrait

"You look beautiful"

My ear prick up slightly – that was George's voice whispering. I feel my cheeks warm up as I descend the stars to the Great Hall, and greeting Oliver outside.

"You look amazing" Oliver says planting a peck on my cheeks "Aww I make you blush" he continues noticing my cheeks – Yeah! It's you that made me blush – Not George! Defiantly Not George.

We walk into the Great Hall, and set down our cloaks, just as Oliver asks me to dance. After a few fast songs are played, a slow song comes on.

Oliver wraps his arms around my waist, and I gently place my hands on his shoulders, as we sway to the music in sync. I look down at my feet – I'd never thought I'd say it – but thank Merlin for Andrew getting me dance lessons. I would have broken all of Oliver's toes by now. I slowly lift my head to shyly look at Oliver, who seems lost in thought.

"Penny for your thoughts?" I ask him quietly. He doesn't say anything "Hello Earth to Oliver? Are you Ok?"

"Huh? What?" he asks looking confusingly at me.

"I said are you ok? You seem a bit distracted" I reply sweetly.

"Yeah, I'm sorry my mind's on other things at the moment. Ravenclaw thrashed Hufflepuff! And if Slytherin beat them........" he starts looking into my eyes deeply – He is thinking about Quidditch!? At a Valentine's party!? QUIDDITCH! - ".......then we are even out of the running for 2nd place! We'd end up last!" he finishes loudly, causing a few people to turn round to look at us – Well this isn't awkward......Yes it is!

"Erm yeah, I know Oliver, but we will just have try our best and have high hopes" I say hoping this is the end of this conversation.

I watch Oliver's face – nope he wants to talk more about Quidditch. Before he is able to say anything else I cut him off, saying I don't feel well and bid him goodnight. I grab my cloak quickly and run out of the hall.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING OUT AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT!?" a growling voice yells to me. I spin round to see Mr Filch walking towards me with Mrs Norris at his heels.

"I'm heading back to my common room now, Mr Filch. I was just at the Valentine's party sir" I reply innocently.

"Yet I checked the list of students attending the bash, and your name wasn't on it Lupin. Follow Me!" he growls at me, whilst Mrs Norris meows happily.

Filch leads me through the castle, and stops in front of McGonagall's office – Not Good! Filch bangs on the door loudly – Thanks for that Filch! Now she is gonna be pissed no matter what!

"WHAT IN GODRIC'S NAME IS GOING ON!?" McGonagall's angry voice calls from the other side of the door. The door opens suddenly, revealing McGonagall in her dressing gown. "What is the meaning of this Mr Filch?"

"Caught this student out of bed professor" Mr Filch grins before looking down at – Don't look at me like that dude! I ain't gonna be hung by my ankles in the dungeon any time soon! So stop smiling!

"What is the meaning of this Miss Lupin?" McGonagall snaps looking at me.

"I was invited to the Valentine's Bash by an older student" I say taking off my cloak to show my dress "I left the Bash early, as I didn't feel well. I was heading back to the Gryffindor common room, when Mr Filch found me and brought me here" I finish looking at her directly in the eyes.

"Well I'm sorry Miss Lupin, but nothing gives a student the right to walk about the castle at night on their own. Regardless of where you were heading, you should have asked the older student that you went with, to escort you back to your common room. It is for this reason that you will receive detention" she says looking down at me "I will escort you back to Gryffindor tower myself"

                                                                                            *

After changing into my pyjamas, I slump down on one of the sofa's in front of the fire in the Gryffindor common room, watching the flames go down. I feel someone sit down next to me. I turn round to find George.

"I had a feeling you might be down here" he says opening his arms for me to hug him – How does he know I need a hug? "You ok?" he whispers, wrapping an arm round me as I lean up against him. I take a long time before I answer him.

"I guess.......It's been a bit of a long night to be honest" I whisper, watching his jumper rise up and down as he breaths.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" he whispers.

"No........I just feel tired" I whisper back resting my eyes – without even realising it I have managed to fall asleep in his warm arms by the fire.