5

"He's doing great" Dariush continues to complement Alexs bike riding skills.

"Shut up! We get it that you're obsessed with Alex, alright?" I tell Dariush

"Don't get me started on your smooch sesh with Gabriel out front of the police station." Dariush tell me, as Gabriel and I turn red. I turn to see if Alex or ZhenZhen heard, but the were too invested in their conversation about Alexs watch.

"I was not!" I say dramatically to Dariush.

"Were too"

"Was not"

"Were too"

"Was-" I was interrupted as hope filled my vision. Military cars started driving in front of us. We all got off our bikes and tried to get the cars attention. We yelled, waving our hands in the air when we heard gun cocks.

"Stay where you are! Do not move!" A man yelled at I slowly shuffled behind Gabriel. The man eyed me, making sure I wasn't going to attack. Gabriel saw this and tried to move further in front of me.

"Same side" Alex kept saying.

"Kids!" One man alerted the flock as they all lowered their guns. "You should've evacuated hours ago! We're at war" another man told us.

"Sir, we were in the mountains when the attacks started" Alex tries to explain. "Can you tell us what's going on? How bigs the attack?" Alex questions.

I start drowning out everyone else's voice, waiting for the commander to speak.

"All I can tell you is that you're not safe here" the commander says. "Everyone on the bus right now!" He speaks up as we all follow directions. "I'll take you to the evacuation center"

They boys start giving the key to the man as ZhenZhen and I walk away towards the bus.

I couldn't be more relived and happy than I did on that bus. When the boys entered, I ran to Gabriel and gave him a big hug. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he had his fingers twisting my hair. He whispered comforting words until Dariush coughed. I glared at him as I sat in the seat right in front of Gabriel.

The bus started to move and I couldn't feel more thankful. I took Gabriel's hand and squeezed it. I smiled at him as he returned it. This was it, we were going somewhere, somewhere safe. We would stay together. We would be happy.

This feeling didn't last long as the tanks in front of us started to explode. My stomach dropped as soon as I realized that maybe my hope was held too high. I shouldn't have hurt myself like that. The only time I can remember feeling like this was when I first found out the truth about my parents, my slutty mom and criminal dad.

The bus stopped and everyone knew that it was going to blow.

We all got up quickly and ran for an exit. Gabriel knocked down the side door as our fingers were still laced together. Everyone ran out just in time. The bus exploded as Gabriel and I stood from a distance. Dariush, ZhenZhen, and Alex had already retrieved the key from the commander, then, we ran for it.

Although I may run faster than everyone else, I also loose my breath faster.

41 miles from Pasadena and I know that I need to stop. Everyone starts walking, letting me catch my breath. I felt like crying. I let myself have hope, and now I feel like shit.

I bite my lip as an attempt to not let myself cry. It failed as a tear ran down my cheek. Gabriel noticed and wiped that away with a sad smile. His hand rested on my cheek as the two of us stopped walking. I placed my hand on top of his, and leaned closer into his hand, closing my eyes. I could feel his stare as he did so.