12. inappropriate?

Hello guys! So before you start off reading, I wanted to make something clear. There's a flashback in this chapter and yeap I'm not expecting you to understand it properly yet. This'll be a long story and those flashbacks do matter a lot. Enjoy!
*

"I know that you want to be on your own. I know that you don't want any commitments. I know that you hate promises, as they're easily broken. I know that I shouldn't send you any letters when you leave. But just remember that I'm here and I'll always carry you home, bridal style, if you need me to."

***

"It's your turn, birdie."

I stared hopelessly at the deck of cards lying on the counter, in front of me. Not again! We had been playing the drinking game for over an hour now and I felt like I was right on the verge of passing out. I picked out a card from the deck reluctantly and blinked a couple of times to focus my blurry vision before starting off reading it out loud. "Do you keep secrets from your closest friend in this room?" Well, as predicted, my eyes bolted onto Lewis, who hadn't drunk a single sip of alcohol. Well, since I've known him the longest, he might as well be my closest friend in this group... "Yeah," I said simply. There were countless things that I hadn't mentioned to Lewis, as I didn't know him well enough to let down my guard yet.

Lewis pouted with an amused smile still lingering on his lips. His adorable expression instantly had me swoon as I took in his charming facial features. This was the second night that we had spent together in London and yet again, I was observing him with drunken eyes. I wanted to believe that only my intoxicated mind found him attractive as I was going to depart from London in a couple of days and I didn't want it to be difficult to leave.

As it was Jaime's turn next and no one called out 'Denied' after my answer, he picked out a card and slurred the question. "What's your actual opinion of Andrea Cunningham?" He looked lost for a brief second before bursting into laughter. "Man, this is totally legit! I've totally forgotten that we added this card to the deck back in college."

I had no clue of who Andrea Cunningham was. As the others kept on blabbering about her, I swirled the miniature umbrella, which was decorating my cocktail glass, in the pale, orange liquid. The memories rushed into my head without my consent, causing party noises to fade away slowly from my ears.

*
"You shouldn't be smoking or consuming this much of alcohol Coen!" I yelled before throwing open the door and storming into his bedroom. He was lying on his bed, watching a TV show and resting his head on pillows that were piled in three layers. Well, just a couple of months ago, he couldn't even stand sleeping on a single pillow.

He tore his eyes from the television and locked his gaze onto me. His blue irises were rimmed with redness and he had large, purplish dark circles under his eyes. He seemed drained as he forced a sincere smile on his pale, chapped lips. "How's everything going Ayla?"

I rolled my eyes as I flung a crumpled piece of paper right to his face. He ducked, letting the paper ball fly over his head. His eyes lightened up with a faint trace of mischief as he reached down to the left side of the bed and picked up the paper ball from where it landed on the floor. "Why'd you burst into my room and throw stuff at me? You're aware that I'm capable of returning the favor, right?"

I sighed in defeat as I strode over to his bed and plopped down onto it before wrapping my arms around his body. I could sense a stubborn knot forming right in the back of my throat, that kept its presence even after I had gulped down a couple of times. "That piece of paper is your credit card receipt, Coen." I muttered. "You should recheck all your pockets before leaving your jacket at my place. Please quit all the smoking and drinking?"