Poussey Washington- Gift (c)

O

Being in prison wasn't easy, and you certainly never expected it to be so. However, you had hoped you'd adapt quickly, and things wouldn't seem so hopeless and terrifying as they did currently. Things had seemed to get better but as the festive period rolled around it all went downhill. You'd first gotten to Lichfield Penitentiary in October, so you hadn't gotten used to your new life there by the time Christmas had come around. Without any family, you had no visitors, which most inmates enjoyed the most at this time, nor did you really have any friends, being rather introverted.

Before going to prison, you had enjoyed Christmas, it being your favourite time of year, however now it was a very different feeling. As soon as you'd finished your lunch, you'd turned back to your bunk, going to your bed, hoping a nap could make the day pass by without having to acknowledge it. You hadn't spoken to your bunkmate often, and you knew most people in your dormitory, but you hadn't really gotten to know any of them.

As you curled up in your bunk, you heard someone clear their throat. Looking up, you saw one of the inmates you'd briefly met before.

"Hello," you said softly, uncertain why she was there.

"Hi... Y/N, right?" She asked.

"Yeah... sorry, I don't know your name."

You sat up straight as she walked into your bunk. She had seemed nice, giving you a kind smile every time that she saw you in the cafeteria or anywhere else, but you'd never had a conversation with her.

"Poussey," she smiled. "I know we haven't really talked before, but no one should be alone for Christmas."

"Oh..."

You weren't certain what to say to her. She handed you a rectangle object. You weren't sure what it was as it was covered in crisp packets weaved together with torn up strips of them turned into a bow on top.

"We don't really give or receive presents in here, not much to give really," she shrugged. "But you need something to put a smile on your face."

A smile curled onto your lips, glad to have some kindness from one of your fellow inmates. You unwrapped the gift to find a book inside.

"It's my favourite book. I didn't know what kind of things that you would be interested in, but I had seen you in the library a few times. If you don't want to read it then don't worry but I thought, you might like it."

"That's really kind of you, thank you."

~*~

Written by Charlotte.