Chapter 45

You & I (Nobody in the World) - John Legend
__________

          I'm so over smelling like ass. All this sweating and shit - I'm over it. I thought to myself bitterly, eager to peel off my damp and disgusting outfit.

My hand laid limply against the makeshift door, the rough and jagged wood slicing tiny slits into my twitchy finger pads. I momentarily forgot about the stress of the impending mission, thinking on what I should wear rather than who could die tonight. It gave me a brief drive, something to look forward to.

And I was really looking forward to changing into cleaner clothes.

My left hand appeared full as I clutched my spear and the plastic container full of numbing cream. I knew I looked messy. Hell, I looked like a disaster.

My black cargo pants were layered in dirt with patches of grass stains dotting my rear, knees, and hips. The black t-shirt clung to my sweaty skin, some place more drenched than others. My hair resembled a rat's nest and I could practically feel the dirt covering my cheeks.

I'm a straight up catastrophe.

I pushed on the door, yearning to strip off my rank clothing and look a little presentable. However, as I stumbled into the room, I soon became aware that the shared space was occupied by my lovely roommate pacing from wall to wall, awkwardly fumbling with a piece of fabric between his hands.

My face lit up the moment his dark brown eyes met mine. My heart hammering against my chest as my veins became jittery with excitement.

Boy, Newt's a sight for sore eyes.

Newt's pacing came to a stop as he faced me. A nervous and twitchy smile lifted his cheeks as he stumbled out, "Hey."

"Hey. Whatcha doing?" I grinned at Newt, kicking the door closed.

"N-nothing. Just...uh, waiting for you." Newt sheepishly smiled, licking his bottom lip as his brown eyes flickered between the floor and me.

"Oh! Alrighty," My smile brightened as I turned away briefly, leaning the spear against the wall. When I twisted back to face the bashful man, my eyes fell to the fabric Newt had clutched between his long fingers, "Whatcha got there?"

Newt's eyebrows furrowed together for a second before following my eyesight to the beige cloth in front of him. For a split moment, Newt's eyes widened. Then he quickly placed the cloth and his hands behind his back in hopes I wouldn't pay it any attention.

"Nothing." Newt shook his head with wide eyes. My eyebrow quirked up in question at his strange behavior, watching him stop and grin cheekily at me.

A snort left my nose at his innocent smile, my arms crossing my chest as I stepped closer to him, "Okay."

"What's up-" Newt's voice cracked, catching both him and I by surprise. A startled smile captured my mouth as Newt quickly adjusted his voice, his face flushing with embarrassment.

"What's up with you?" Newt repeated, his voice significantly deeper as he used his free arm to lean against the wall between our sleeping bags. He was trying so hard to seem casual.

I blinked, amused by his antics, "Nothing."

"Oh, well that's...good. So, uh, how the weapons comin' along?" Newt's shifted nervously, clearly uncomfortable even though he tried so hard to appear nonchalant.

"All done. You can check out my garage sale after you're done...being weird." I mused.

"Yeah-yeah. That'd be cool, that'd be cool." Newt sputtered out, still trying to act coolly composed, his gaze flickering around the room.