Chapter 9

Ocean Eyes - Billie Eilish
__________

It wasn't even noon yet. The sun barely reached the centre of the sky as orange and blue hues still streamed the cloudless heavens from that morning's sunrise. Though, most Gladers were already awake, some were still asleep when the obnoxious wail of the alarm went off—one of those few sleeping people being me.

The Gladers and I had thinning patience as we rolled ourselves out of our daily routines and crammed ourselves around the Box Hole, waiting on Alby's orders. The moment the Box arrived, Newt and I were already atop of it, ready to discover what was in the metallic Box for the third time.

My fingertips barely grazed the rusty handle when a voice exclaimed from the murmuring Gladers.

"Hold on!" Alby emerged from the surrounding group, his hand thrusted before him, "Just hold on!"

"What's wrong?" Someone from the back of the group asked before others erupted with questions as well.

"Why does the Box keep coming up?"

"Is it another Greenie!"

"What's going on, Alby?"

However, Alby fell into his own world. His eyes glazed over with anxious thoughts, nibbling on his thumbnail as he paced before the Box.

"Three Newbies in three days..." He said lowly, looking at Thomas and I skeptically, "And this. After two years of the same thing. Same schedule. Same rules. And now this," Alby then adverted his cold gaze to me, "What's goin' on 'ere, Greenie?"

My face scrunched into knitted brows a frustrated glare screwing across my face, as I stared into the two black coals of Ably's dark eyes. Gritting my teeth together, I felt myself grow bitter with irritation.

I scoffed, "I don't know. I'm just as out of the loop as you guys."

Alby sent me a cold skeptical glare before gazing at Thomas, "And you?"

"How would I know?" Thomas said nervously.

"How 'bout you just tell us what the shuck is down there?" Gally sneered from the back with others agreeing.

"Shut it, shanks!" Alby shouted.

The Gladers grew silent, the air thick with anxiety—not unlike yesterday or the day before. However, the stress and tension today was tripled—jitters tracing over all the boys, including myself.

With solemn gaze, Alby turned to Newt.

"Open it."

Newt nodded, before turning to me.

Our eyes met as we exchanged a brief wary glance. He was nervous—his trembling fingers and clenched jaw gave that away. I sent him a tiny nod, giving him the only comfort I could offer as I grasped the handle to the right door.

Newt rolled his shoulders, uneasily, before reaching down and curling his trembling fingers around the other handle.

Then, we pulled the doors up.

I managed to open the door wide enough for me to slip my fingers underneath it and flip it open with grunt. The heavy door slammed to the grassy floor, the obnoxious clanking sound echoing across Glade.

I immediately stepped away from the Box, knowing that Newt had to be the one to see the newbie first. As Newt peered down into the Box Hole, I suddenly felt chills. Like something was about to happen. The problem is I didn't know if that "something" was good or bad.