ch.1

A nest of uneasiness settles at the pit of Lana's stomach the second she becomes fully conscious. Today is The Reaping. Lana has never showed the slightest amount of interest in the games to anyone at District 4's private academy but there's always that one small chance at being chosen for the games no matter how terrible and unqualified people may deem you as. The first thing Lana does is make her bed and open the curtains to her bedroom. Her mom always tells her the best way to distract yourself from the unavoidable is by cleaning and if that doesn't work let the sun dance around your skin.

After Lana finishes attending to the tidiness of her room she walks out to the living area/kitchen where her father is cooking breakfast. "Good morning." She greets.

Bo smiles, showing off the dimple cheeks he passed down to Lana. "How's my girl doing today?"

Lana takes a seat at the small, round dining table beside the window. "Anxious, I think." Lana hesitantly answered.

"More than understandable," Bo nodded, sliding a single pancake above a tall stack on a clear plate. "But I heard that girl Juen in your grade excelled on all her finals. The academy board are rumored to have been seriously considering her for this years female tribute."

Lana didn't say anything in response. If she gets picked into the games, it'll be devastating of course but if someone else like Juen volunteers it'll still be devastating. Juen, just like every other kid in the districts does not deserve uncertainty death. No matter what happens today, Lana will be on the frets.

Just on cue, Airroe walks in with a bucket of a dozen or so fish. "You would not believe how much fish I caught today. Its like they know what today is." By this she means the small celebration all families in the Naves have after The Reaping. If you're kid wasn't chosen for the games, then it causes for a celebration. Lana's parents make the best fish fry and salmon soup in their small community so of course her mother wakes up extra early to fish with their neighbor Ash on his small boat.

Airroe kisses Lana on the forehead before storing the fish in their cooler. "Excited for tonight?"

"I guess so." Lana shrugs.

"You don't sound excited?" Airroe pointed out, placing her beige sun hat on the coat rack.

"Its the The Reaping." Bo replied, setting up the dining table.

"Oh, for a second there I thought it was because of Ash." Her mother sneakily grinned.

"Why would she be nervous about him?" Bo questioned.

"Maybe because he likes her-"

Lana quickly cuts her mother off. "He does not."

"Are you blushing?" Her father teases. Soon enough both her parents begin teasing the girl over her much older their neighbor is and the obvious crush she has on him. She's only 17 but he has been on Lana's raider since the third grade. He has strawberry blonde hair, freckles scattered all over his cheeks and bright blue eyes that could hypnotize even the President's daughter, or at least it seemed that way to Lana. They have only exchanged a couple smiles and have shared a few short conversations but that's it. 'If today's not the day everything goes to hell, then maybe I'll make the first move.' Lana oddly thinks to herself.

Half an hour into breakfast someone knocks on the door. "I'll get it." Lana sets down her utensils and rushes over to the front door. She pulls the doorknob, revealing a very eager looking 10-year-old boy, holding a box of jewelry. "Hello Ma'am, my name is Joey Greene and I live only a few houses down from you."

Lana immediately recognized him. His mom works with her father at the canned factory. Bo sometimes lends her money for transportation considering how far the factory is from The Naves. On nights when she works Lana is usually seated outside, in front of the ocean and can see Joey greet his mother once she comes home. Its very sweet and you can really tell how much he appreciates her. "HI Joey, I'm Lana Francis. How can I help you?"