Chapter Eleven

I knocked sharply three times at John Hathway's doorstep. It took him exactly seemingly several long minutes to open the door.

"Why hello Miss Mckormic!" he called.

"I wish to speak to you."

"Come in! Would you like anything?" I replied no thank you and took a seat.

"What do you wish to speak to me about?"

I told him about my father, my mother, and how I had given up my dreams of becoming a writer forever. He listened intently and nodded his head every few minutes.

"Write." He got up and walked away. I sat there, stunned. Finally I got up and walked out the door. He was no help.

I sat under an oak tree, not quite ready to go home. I still couldn't sort out my feelings. About Mother, Annalise, Aunt Susan, and writing. Finally I decided to return home. My feet were aching by the time I reached our mansion on top of the hill. Once inside, I threw off my shawl and boots and put them neatly away. I ran up the steps, excited to take a small nap.

As I reached the top of the steps, I noticed an odd groaning noise. I crept into Annalise's room to notice her writhing on the floor in pain.

"Annalise!" I cried, rushing to her side.

"It hurts, it hurts really bad," she sobbed.

"What does Annalise? Annalise!" She had passed out. I called for help, panicking. "Aunt Susan! Margaret! Please come! Please!"

Margaret came running up the stairs. "Liesel! What is it?"

"It's Annalise!" Margaret gasped and called to get a doctor. I sobbed at Annalise's side, feeling completely useless. Annalise.

~

"She is very ill," the doctor told us that evening, "Give her lots of water and rest."

"Thank you, Doctor,"Aunt Susan said, curtsying.

"Oh, and while I was examining her, she mentioned something she's been meaning to tell her sister. Something about their father."

 Aunt Susan glanced nervously at me, and then at Margaret. I gasped. Father? She knew something about Father that I did not? Tears start pooling in my eyes. Mama's last wish. Annalise's last confession.

"Again, rest and water, and she should be better in no time," he said as he tipped his hat. Just as he left, Jack came bursting in. My eyes lock into Aunt Susan's eyes.

"How is she?" he cried.

"She's fine," Margaret replied. Jack came to her side and started whispering to her. I resisted the temptation to roll my eyes.

All I knew was that Annalise could not die on us. I would not let that happen.