Chapter Nine

"Liesel?" Annalise knocked at my door.

"Come in," I call sullenly.

"Hey," she smiled.

"I'm actually really busy, I have to complete my studies. So if you could..."

"Liesel, we need to talk."

"Okay... Just please do hurry. I'm quite busy."

"Aunt Susan told me you heard Margaret and me chatting when the Robisons' were over," she said gently as she sat next to me on my bed.

"Yes."

"Liesel, I may be getting married and moving out, but you know I would never forget you."

"But where will I go?"

"Aunt Susan will take care of that." She patted my back and left me to my thoughts. What's that supposed to mean? 'Aunt Susan will take care that'. What will she do? Hire someone else to look after me? Let Margaret adopt me? No, no. She wouldn't let our maid adopt me. It's not respectable. Will I have to move somewhere else? Will I have...

"Liesel! You have a visitor." Aunt Susan called. How odd. I never have visitors. Annalise always did; from Jack. I scurried down the steps.

"Hello." A man stood at the door. He had dark hair and a rough beard. His eyes were sparkling green. I thought I recognized him from somewhere...

"Hello." I curtsied.

"John. John Hathway. I believe we've met before." He nodded politely.

"Ah yes. The writer?" I sighed inside. Him again.

"Let's take a stroll." I looked at Aunt Susan. She urged me to go. I sighed, this time outwardly, and followed him outside. The air was fresh and clear. I rather liked it.

"You are probably wondering why I dragged you out here." He chuckled.

"Yes, sir."

"Well, I talked to your aunt, and she gave my permission to invite you to my house every Wednesday for an hour."

"May I ask what for?" I can't believe this man. He's practically a stranger and he invites me to his house every Wednesday, probably for some stupid writer thing.

"Just to talk. Write. Things like that."

"All right. Thank you for your invitation, sir. Allow me to discuss this with my aunt, and I shall get back to you in a few days." I already knew what the answer would be. There was no way I was going.

"Well, I hope to see you there," he winked. "Shall I escort you back?" I grudgingly agreed to let him walk me back to the mansion. It would be un-ladylike to walk by myself.

I closed my eyes and breathed the fresh air. I had so much to think about. More then I could handle.