Aeria paused to stare at her friend. "He hotwired an air purifier into an energy cannon?"

"I once asked him what he would do if an attack occurred on this remote planet, and he told me he could turn almost any piece of equipment in the room into a ranged weapon. I was kind of doubtful and asked him to back up his claim with the old air purifier we had just replaced."

"I am somehow guessing he managed it..."

"It was actually quite impressive. It didn't even take him two full minutes, although he admitted that it would only manage three or four shots before the power relays overheated." Adeline smirked slightly. "Then he said he would rip off the cooling cable and throw it at the enemy. If they tried to use it, it would immediately blow up. If they ignored it, it would explode in about fifteen seconds anyway."

I blinked slowly, not quite understanding the discussion, but it certainly sounded impressive. And if Aeria's silence was anything to go by, it probably was.

"If anyone tries to dissuade Soranto," Aeria finally said, "then let us know. The Elders have made it quite clear that the fire lizards are the ones who pick their handlers."

"I suspect that is why I have only heard the faintest of murmurs from the one. Anyone who objected would not only have to go through Soranto and myself, but they would also end up facing you and Taureen. Not to mention the Elders. It isn't a fight they can win."

They were silent for a while as they continued preparing their meal. I curled up on the wall perch, biding my time.

"I'll take this tray out," Adeline said. "Do you need any help with that one?"

"No, I'm almost finished. I'll be out there in a couple of minutes."

Adeline picked up the tray she had been filling and carried it out of the kitchen. Dropping off the perch, I glided down to Aeria's shoulder.

"She may not show it," Aeria quietly murmured, "but you have won her over."

Tilting my head, I recalled how Soranto had held me against his chest several times. "I think Soranto's getting attached too."

Chuckling, she replied, "I believe he is past the point of just getting attached."

"You think so?" My ear tufts perked up.

"Give it another month or so, and it will be hard to separate the two of you." She picked up her tray. "Ready?"

I had no idea if she was asking if I was ready for the bond between a dragonet and handler, or if she was merely inquiring if I was ready to go into the living room.

"Yes." I was ready for both.

Aeria walked into the living room and put the food on the table. The Kymari began putting food on their plates.

"How did Keegan react to being back on full patrol after so long?" Adeline asked.

"He hasn't lost his edge. The fourth ship we checked had a crawler lying dormant in the air vents. They had to send in a robot to locate and remove it."

"You didn't tell me you found a crawler," Mom grumbled, unhappy that she didn't get to participate in the action.

"It was dormant. It didn't even wake up when they pulled it out. If Tessa goes with Soranto, you'll get your chance tomorrow."

"I have no plans on being left behind," I informed Dad. "Although, if I don't see Soranto trying to sneak out, let me know."

"I somehow doubt he will get close to the door without you darting after him," Dad replied, amused with the prospect of watching Soranto try to sneak out.

"I can't wait until I get to go on a real patrol," I said longingly. I was tired of just practicing – I wanted to actually stop some of these evil creatures!

Mom lifted her head and gazed at me thoughtfully. "The only stipulation was that you had to be six months old. Unless I am adding up the days wrong, that day is only about two weeks from now."

I inhaled sharply, which earned me a few glances from the Kymari. Jumping off Aeria's shoulder, I flew over to the sand tray.

"Really?" I was practically dancing on the spot, and even Dirk perked his ear tufts up.

She yawned and lay her head back down. "I believe so. Without access to a calendar or a way to track the days, I lose track of time. I can double-check with Taureen once the company leaves."

"I really hope I find a crawler on my first day. Maybe I'll even find a sicora!"

"You might. Although, the number of days where no one finds anything far outnumber the ones that do."

I ignored her pessimism. I was positive I'd find something.