Recovery

Nami's POV

The fire in Nami's heart had grown stronger than ever. She held the unconscious Luffy in her arms tightly while Zeus made his way back to Sunny. By the time they made it, the others could already tell something was terribly wrong. Nami, Luffy, and Pierre landed on the main deck and everyone rushed to them.

"Wh-wh-what happened to Luffy?" Chopper and Carrot both exclaimed in panic.

"Who the hell is that?" Sanji pointed at Pierre, who was still knocked out.

"I'll explain later," Nami responded. "Chopper, take care of Luffy immediately!"

Chopper nodded quickly and took Luffy out of her arms and into the ship. Nami looked at Sanji and Brook, "You two, get as much rope as you can and tie up that guy over there!" She lastly turned to Carrot, "Make sure that he doesn't wake up while they're getting the rope. If he does, don't hesitate to attack with all your strength."

Sanji and Brook went off to get rope, and Carrot gulped and nodded. Nami entered the ship and went into Luffy's room where she found Chopper, who already had Luffy bandaged from head to toe. She blinked, "Wow, that was fast, Chopper."

Chopper looked down, "I'm the doctor of the next Pirate King ... I have to be the best!"

Nami walked over and knelt at Luffy's bedside. She pushed some of his hair out of his sleeping face and smiled. "Alright," Sanji said as he, Brook, and Carrot came into the room, "the guy's all tied up. Now, what the hell happened?"

Nami exhaled deeply and then told the whole story of her and Luffy's adventure in the island.

When she finished, everyone was silent for a minute. "The Mirage-Mirage fruit," Chopper shook his head. "Sounds terrifying ..."

"This is why I should've come," Sanji grumbled. "I'm gonna kick this Pierre-guy's face in!"

"Poor Luffy-san," Brook said quietly.

"Is he going to be okay, Bropper?" Carrot asked.

"He should be fine," the reindeer affirmed, "assuming that he just rests for awhile."

There was a long pause before Sanji sighed, "I'm gonna make some lunch."

"That's a good idea," Nami nodded. "Why don't the rest of you keep an eye on Pierre and let me know when he wakes up. I'll ... I'll stay here and take care of Luffy."

Everyone left Luffy's room and Nami pulled a chair over to Luffy's bedside. One of Luffy's eyes opened, and he gave Nami a weak smile, "Wow ... You're like another captain when I'm not around, huh?"

Nami blushed and smiled back warmly, "I'm just glad you're okay."

Luffy extended one of his bandaged hands, and Nami took it in her own. He closed his eyes, "I'm sorry that you gotta take care of me like this."

Nami shook her head, "It's nothing, Luffy. I'll never forget what you did for me after I got sick at Little Garden. You stayed with me every day, making sure that you saw me smile. You ... you even climbed a mountain with your bare hands to get me help."

"Of course I did," Luffy opened an eye again and looked at her. "Do you know what I would have done if I ... lost you like that?"

Luffy paused for a moment, and Nami felt like her head was on fire. Luffy squeezed her hand tightly, "I ... I need you, Nami. You're not just the navigator of the ship. You're my navigator. I would be lost without you ... literally. I don't think I would've even made it to Syrup Village if it weren't for your help."

Nami was overwhelmed with emotion, "L-Luffy, I ..."

Luffy chuckled, "Just having you here now, sitting next to me, I feel like I'm getting better faster."

I love him so much, Nami thought giddily as she looked down and took a deep breath.

Luffy's POV

Luffy let go of Nami's hand a struggled to sit up in his bed. Nami got up and helped him rest his back against the frame. She got close to him and propped his pillow up behind him, and Luffy could feel the heat of her body reach his own. He gulped as the side of her face nearly touched his as she continued fluffing up the pillow. She turned so that they were facing each other, and they both blushed at the same time. "Uh ..." Luffy opened and closed his mouth several times.

"Shhh," Nami put her finger on his lips as she leaned in.

Suddenly, Carrot ran into the room, and Luffy and Nami jumped away from each other. "He's awake, Nami," Carrot said. The mink then looked at Luffy and ran over to cuddle him, "Garchu, Luffy! I'm happy to see that you're also awake."

Luffy hugged the rabbit back, "Yeah, uh ... good to be back."

He glanced over at Nami, whose jealousy couldn't have been more obvious.

Luffy looked at her and blushed, Why am I so hot right now?