Compromised Results

The day had arrived. Project Rebirth would soon be complete. Whether this serum would work, we would soon find out.

I went with Agent Carter to pick him up. I sat in the front with the driver, which gave the both of them a chance to talk.

"I remember that alley. I got into a fight there. And behind that bar. And that store," he mentions softly, almost ashamed of what he was saying.

"Did you have something against running away?" I question, curious as to what his answer would be.

"You run away and they know they've won. You stand up to them, they can't go on forever. I don't like bullies, I don't care where they're from," he replies, shrugging lightly.

Such a simple answer, but one that twisted my gut.

I would have to kill him today.

I couldn't defy my orders, lest I want the punishment of my lifetime.

I was quiet the rest of the drive. I would finish my mission. It's the only thing I could do.

He was so nervous when we went inside and he saw all the equipment. I understood that. I knew what it felt like.

Agent Carter escorted him down and stayed while they prepped him. I internally rolled my eyes. It was disgusting to watch.

I looked around at the men that came into the viewing room. One of them was an infiltrator as well.

I was quick to pinpoint him. Very much so an amateur, but considering how no one else had noticed, he was easy to miss. I would worry about him later.

Agent Carter came up as Dr. Erskine began his speech.

Soon, Steve was being shut into the container, the procedure truly beginning. There was a light from the top of the capsule that got brighter and brighter. I had to look away, as did many others.

Then Steve began to scream painfully. Carter was quick to leave the room, yelling for them to stop the procedure.

I almost wished he would die so I wouldn't have to kill him.

Wait? Why was I even having those thoughts?

I'm broken out of my restless mind as Steve shouts, "No! Don't! I can do this!"

He was a fighter. I couldn't fault him for that.

The lights in the room flashed as the machine hit full power, quickly causing everything to power down.

The doors open and a very different Steve is revealed. He was much taller and solid muscle.

Everyone began congratulating each other and moving out of the room. I followed more slowly, something shiny catching my eye.

"Bomb!" I yell as I jump from the upper deck of the room.

Everyone ducks and I jump from the balcony, expecting to hit the floor, but find myself in the arms of the super soldier himself.

I stare at him a bit too long, the sound of a gun cocking drawing my attention away from him. I quickly see the man who had left the bomb aiming at the scientist and I jump from Steve's arms as the gun goes off, the bullet ripping through my side.

I hear a thump behind me, but pay it no attention, aiming for the man who shot me. So did Agent Carter. She managed to hit him, but he was quick to get away.

Peggy quickly went up after the man. I took a deep breath, turning to see the doctor take his last one. That man would die.

I quickly scrambled to my feet, running after the man. Carter had taken out one of his accomplices by the time I got out, causing him to have to find a new vehicle. I took off after the car, taking a motorcycle from an unhappy middle-aged man. The man was driving like a crazed lunatic, but that was understandable, though a pain in the ass for me to follow. Steve, on the other hand surprised me. He was fast, and quick to catch up with the car.