My Heart Was Broken, But Not By Him

No name. No Nothing. All that was on the paper was his number. I even looked around and there wasn’t even a single couple in the store. In fact I’m pretty sure no one else was in the store, other than us.  I wanted to go up to him ask his name or better yet just give the paper back to him. It would probably hurt his feelings though. I sighed, while the lady at the cash register checked things out.

 Once she finished she winked at me and mouthed the words “keep him” “he’s not my boyfriend” I said before and I heard someone right next to me say “not yet anyway” I looked over and there was the boy again. I tried to walk out the door but he caught me right before. “by the way, if you don’t call me I’ll kidnap you and make you my girlfriend” he said winking and laughing.

 I didn’t say anything because in a way that was actually really hot. I mean for crying out loud I forgot to take off my glasses and yet I changed into converse and my jacket that I used for st-, I mean the jacket I use for cold days. “But seriously call me” he said walking away. “Maybe” I mumbled.

I checked my phone and it was about 4:30 P.M. Oh crap. I needed to get home. I got in my impala and drove off. By the time I got to my house I had no idea what I should do. Should I call him? No. I wasn’t going to no matter what. I don’t care if I break his heart. He shouldn’t be messing with mine.

I put the apples in my fridge and my bread in the counter. My parents are always on business trips and they only come home about once every 3 or 4 months. And when they do come home it’s only for about a week. Just so they can repack. 

I went up to my bedroom and set the sheet of paper with his number on my bed. I went over to my desk and began doing my homework. I didn’t have very much. But I did have this project due in about 5 days. I’ll finish it now. I called Becca over here since she was my partner for the project. I finished my homework right when I heard a knock on the door.

“Hey Becca” I said to her as she walked through the door. “Hey Chicka” she said. “Guess. What!?” She said excitedly. “What?” I said sitting down on my bed. “This guy.” She said waiting for me to nod my head. “My crush” she added on. “Asked me out!” She said screaming in my ear. “You’re lying” I said.

“No. I am shitting you not! He freaking asked me out!” she said jumping on my bed and falling off. I laughed when she hit the floor. “I didn’t know what to do though! I just ran away when he asked me out. I always do that! Can you go up to him and say yes for me?” she begged. I gave her a pointed look. “No. Remember what happened last time when I did that for you? You guys never talked and then after he broke up with you we had to watch a bunch of chick flicks and you know how much I hate those.” I said explaining to her.

“And then after watching all of those chick flicks that scared me for life I had to watch a whole season of Supernatural in a night. If that happens again I’m going to end up watching two whole seasons and make you watch them with me.” I added.

She started to give me her sad face. “No. Don’t do this to me, come on Becca” her sad face started to get worse. I groaned. “Fine” I whined. “Yay!” she squealed “but you have to say yes. All I’m going to be doing is standing there. Okay?” I asked. “Alright” she rolled her eyes.

Becca and I finished the project in 2 hours. (I timed, don’t judge)  I looked over at our project, admiring it. “What the Hell is this?” I turned to Becca and swore out loud. I forgot to hide the stupid sheet with the bright red ink. The ink was so bright a blind man could’ve seen it. I’m surprised she didn’t notice it earlier. I’m surprised I forgot about it.

“You got some guy’s number and you didn’t tell me?” she shouted laughing like a maniac. “Uh, I, I, uh” I stuttered. “No it’s not a guy’s number I have a project in school and she gave me uh, her number. It’s due in a couple of days.” Becca glared at me. “You’re lying” she seethed.  

(Seethed: (of a person) be filled with intense but unexpressed anger.)

“Becca, Calm down. I’m not lying” I put my hands up in front of me to protect myself. “Yes. You Are.” She said boiling with crazy.

 I turned around and ran. I locked the door. Fortunately I had the lock on the outside so I couldn’t lock my parents out. They were the ones who world lock me in. I heard everything go quiet. All of a sudden I heard quiet rings. “What are you doing Becca? Please don’t blow up my room” No answer.

“Becca?” I asked “hello? Is this the girl I gave my number to?” I heard an unknown voice say. Shit. Becca called the guy. “ELEANOR YOU LITTLE SHIT!” I flinched. “YOU LIED TO ME!” she screamed.

 I flinched again and sighed. “What’s going on?” I heard the guy ask. I smacked my face on the door. “This is the girl’s friend. Just to make sure you were the guy that gave my friend your number what color was the ink?” “Uh, bright red.” He said. I smacked my head on the door again. “Eleanor? Were you ever going to call this guy?” “No” I said. “I guess I’ll have to kidnap you now” the guy said.

Becca was holding the phone to the door. There was no way he could’ve heard it unless she was doing that.  “Bye” I heard Becca say. “Bye, see you sometime, Eleanor” he said. “Open the door Ellie; I’m not going to hurt you.” Becca said. I unlocked the door.

She pushed the door opened and walked past me. “Beck?” I asked. “Don’t talk to me, I’m mad at you.” She said glaring ahead of her. “I just don’t want to date him.” I said. “Can’t you understand that?” I said getting frustrated.

She turned around at me glaring “I would take the chance. It might be the only chance you’ll get I mean you’re not pretty, you’re not skinny, you’re not-“ cut herself off when she realized what she was saying. My eyes started to water up. “Please leave” I said, a tear dropping down my cheek.

“Ellie, I’m so sorry. I was just mad. I didn’t know what I was saying” She pleaded. “Please Becca, just leave. I want to be alone” “I’m sorry Ellie” she said turning away. Before she closed the door she turned and said “I Love you Ellie” she said. She shut the door and I turned away and started bawling. “She didn’t mean it” I kept saying to myself, But for some reason. I think she did.