It was overwhelming, the scent of him. It had been too long since she was alone with him in an enclosed space that she forgot what he smelled like. Fresh from his post-class shower, hair still glistening with water, and the smell of soap lingering over his skin. He was everywhere - filling her car with his laugh and his scent. She already knew it was going to break her when it was time for him to leave.

Even though the drive was long and the weekday traffic was horrible, they got to his house all too soon. Nowadays, their time together always ended too soon. It was as if the universe held a ticking clock above Kaycee's head, measuring her moments with him, sounding the buzzer and taking him away before she got too comfortable.

Before she could remember what it felt like to be home.

She pulled up the handbrake when they stopped in front of his house. It was the first time in over half a year that she's seen the Lew house. Nothing much has changed - not the clean cut front lawn nor the billowing white curtains in the living room. But for now, she was a stranger, standing on the outside looking in.

"Well," Sean began to remove his seat belt. "Thanks for the ride."

The friendliness of the ride quickly evaporated in the face of yet another farewell. Kaycee hated it, not knowing when she was going to see him again, or if he'd even want to talk to her the next time she did. But if she thought the last 6 months hurt, it was nothing compared to the agony of not being invited inside the place she considered a safe haven, her second home.

No, she had to earn the right to walk through that door again.

7 months, 1 week, and 2 days.

They saw each other in classes three more times after that. It wasn't on purpose, but it wasn't completely by accident either. Kaycee just knew that he'd want to attend those classes, and decided to be there too. Does it count if they didn't agree on it?

Each time, Kaycee brought him home.

They'd talk and laugh the whole drive to his house, and for almost the entire way, she could make believe that all was right in the world.

But then they'd pull up to his house and their little bubble would burst.

Just before saying goodbye, something flashed in his eyes. Like he wanted to say something. Like he wanted her to stay.

But it'd be gone before she could ask, and Sean would just leave. Kaycee watched him watch up the front steps alone, chest breaking at the thought that maybe she wasn't welcome there anymore. Then she'd drive away, ignoring the tears that fell down her cheeks, comforted only by the lingering scent of him in the passenger seat.

The fourth time she drove him home, to her surprise, he asked her to stay for dinner.

"My mom's making those dumplings you like," He explained, eyes flitting from the dashboard to the roof, anywhere but her. "And she said you might want to..."

Okay so maybe, technically, Miya invited her for dinner. But Kaycee took whatever she can get.

The moment they stepped through the front door, they were met by an ear-splitting shriek by the staircase.

"Kaycee!" Sarah exclaimed, launching herself at the petite girl. "We missed you!"

Kaycee caught her just in time, returning the hug in equal tightness and measure. Thankfully, her face was buried in the older girl's shoulder, so she couldn't see how much she wanted to cry.

Pulling back slightly, the older Lew looked up and yelled at the ceiling. "Serris, Kaycee's here!"

There was a loud crash from upstairs, quickly followed by pounding footsteps rushing down the stairs. Before she knew it, Kaycee was doubly crushed as Serris got in on the embrace.