prologue

her heart is in a million pieces. it cuts her, leaving streaks of bright, red blood that stain her skin. the shattered pieces lie around her, but she doesn't bother trying to piece it back together. after all, what's the point? he won't come back. 

he's happy. 

and so is she. well, kind of. 

she's happy that he's happy, but she wishes more than anything that she was the reason that he was happy. 

she wanted to be the reason he smiled. the reason he laughed. the reason he was bursting with love. 

but. 

she stays on the floor, tears brimming in her eyes as she watches him announce to the world that he's found the love of his life. that he's getting married. that he's happy. 

wiping at her eyes, she forces herself off of the floor, (weakly) determined to try to move on. as she walks across the floor, she steps on the shattered pieces of her heart. she grimaces at the pain but continues on, intent on not letting this destroy her completely. the live-streamed video is still playing, almost taunting her. she can hear how happy he sounds, and she tries, really tries, to be happy for him. 

she looks down and finds a piece of her heart that isn't completely broken; she picks it up, examining it. she holds it gently and takes a deep breath as his laughter fills her ears. pocketing the last remaining piece, she moves to the kitchen and splashes her face with some water. suddenly, all noise in her apartment is cut off. she turns to her phone and sees that the live-stream has ended. but then, his face fills her screen. 

he wants to call her. 

taking a shaky breath, she picks up the phone and answers his call. 

"hey," she says, hoping that her voice doesn't sound shaky. 

"she said yes!" he shouts. she can hear him smiling and the small piece of her heart starts beating faster. 

"did you have any doubt?" she asks. 

"no, but i was still a wreck." he pauses. "thanks for helping calm my nerves," he adds. 

"of course." she swallows. "you're my friend, and friends help each other." he agrees and continues talking, listing all the things that he might need help with. she listens, nodding and talking when he pauses, agreeing to help him with whatever he needs. 

eventually, though, he says that he has to go. she quickly says that so does she. 

the call ends. 

still holding the phone to her ear, a tear slides down her cheek.