XVI. REAL LIFE

HOW TO NOT LOSE YOUR DOG.
( chapter sixteen, real life )

"Shit, this is a lot more daunting than it was when I left the house," Effy mumbled, adjusting the straps on her rucksack as she stared up at the large establishment.

She had never seen in a film set before, let alone step inside of one. So to say she was nervous, would've been an understatement. She even had second thoughts that morning about even showing up and just sleeping the whole day through, but she couldn't bear to think about the disappointed look on Tom's face if she didn't. He was the reason why she was even going in the first place. Not Beau.

She'd do it, for him.

(Plus, Mona shoved her out the house shouting about how she wanted her dog and her "soap opera buddy" back. Not mentioning she also wanted Effy to meet the boy she'd been going on about for weeks).

Effy let out the seventh sigh she'd released in that five minutes of standing there, now wondering how the heck she was going to get inside. But, that thought vanished when she spotted two security guards standing beside a high gate.

Ah, she thought.

"Excuse me?" Effy croaked, now standing in front of the imitating figures. "How do I get in?" Immediately, she cringed at her words. They sounded incredibly creepy and like she was some kind of extreme fan here to see their favourite celebrity.

"And who might you be, missy?" One of the guards questioned, craning his neck down to look at the rather petite girl.

"My name is Effy Clarke." She explained. "I was told by the director that I could visit to collect my dog?"

The second guard lifted a walkie-talkie to his lips, "This is Rob Smith to Jon Watts. Rob Smith to Jon Watts, over."

"What's up, Rob? Over." Another male voice spoke.

"I've got a small female by the name of Effy Clarke here saying she's here to collect her dog? Am I alright to let her in? Over."

"Ah! Effy!" The voice said with a laugh. "Yes, yes, let her in. Over." Effy gave the guard a quick smile as they buzzed her in.

She scanned the premises for anything to direct her in the right direction, but the loud noises coming from inside the school gave her brain a signal to potentially go inside. (Plan B: ask around).

"If it isn't our famous dog loser, Effy Clarke!" A deep male voice called as she strolled through the entrance doors. The director, Jon Watts, was striding straight towards her. He held out his hand, "I'm Jon, nice to meet you."

Effy grinned, shaking his hand. "Nice to meet you too. I'm Effy."

"I've heard a lot about you!"

"All good things, I hope?" Effy smiled.

"Of course all good things! Come this way, I'll lead you to where the cast are hanging out. Along with your dog." Jon gestured, leading her to a small hallway. He opened the second door to her right and a certain barking was heard. "Look who's here everybody!"

Tom Holland's head spiked up from scratching behind Beau's ears mumbling, "Good boy," over and over. He watched in shock when the one and only, Effy Clarke, stepped into the room. Beau, recognising his owner straight away, dashing towards her and almost knocking her over.

"You're a devil of a dog, Beau Clarke," Effy laughed, rubbing the overly-excited dog's head. A few cast members chuckled at the scenario in front of them: A average girl's dog ended up on Spider-Man: Homecoming's film set, only for her to have to come and collect the scoundrel, obviously knowing as soon as she brings him home, he'll most likely run off again. It was a film plot in itself.

"What are you talking about? Beau's been an angel!" Zendaya snickered, embracing the girl. "Hi, I'm Zendaya, nice to meet you!"

Effy chuckled. "Hi, Zendaya."

A Hawaiian boy came up next, also giving the girl a quick hug. "I'm Jacob! Nice to finally meet you in person! We've heard lots from Tom about you..."

Effy cocked her head to the side, a large grin plastered on her face. "Have you now?"

Tom lightly nudged his onscreen and offscreen best friend in the ribs, "Shush, you."

His eyes landed on Effy and a small blush rised upon his cheeks. She was way prettier in real life than she was behind a screen. And, oh, was he already obsessed with her eyes. Though, before Tom could say anything, Effy wrapped her small arms around his neck, muttering a small "Hi," into his shoulder. He smelled like mint and fresh laundry, while Effy was a mixture of raspberry and coconut. (It was probably her shampoo).

A loud bark erupted them from their momentous meeting, causing the whole room to burst into laughter and for Tom and Effy to release their grips on one another.

Beau, the attention-seeking, git.

"We were just about to grab some dinner," Tom whispered. "I know you're only here to collect your dog but I'd- I mean, we'd be happy to have you come along."

Effy beamed wider - if that was even possible. "I'd love to come along! I mean, it's food. Count me in."

( end of chapter. )