Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I think the next few months were hardest on my mom and my sister.  They couldn't use the expensive hair care products and make up any more and had to settle for the "cheap stuff".  It wasn't cheap the regular people out there, I thought but I kept it to myself.

        Going bankrupt was actually ok with me because I got to spend more time at Wheels Pond and more time reading Katie's Dairy.  Yes, I was still obsessed with it after all these months.  On every page there was something that made me laugh and something that almost made me cry. Almost. One entry read:

        "It's my birthday! As usual, no party. Oh well, at least I can throw my own party.  I put up lots of streamers in my room and bought a little cake with my salary from Sonic.  I know embarrassing job, but it's the only one I could get at sixteen (as of today!). So anyway, my cake was chocolate with green icing, and it said "Happy Sweet Sixteen" on it in yellow icing letters. Well got to go. It's kind of weird that I'm saying good bye to a diary."

        This one always makes me laugh, but I wonder why she doesn't get birthday parties.  Maybe she doesn't have anyone to throw one for her or maybe her parents are too poor to have one for her.  The point is I was concerned about this girl even though she may not even be alive anymore.

        Over the next few weeks, I visited Wheels Pond alone, since Tray was gone on a vacation for a month, almost every day and read Katie's diary.  I was becoming more obsessed with it as time went on.  I really wanted to meet her face to face and maybe try to help if I could.

        One day Dad came into my room while I was reading out of the diary. "You are sure spending a lot of time reading that book.  What's it about?"

        "It's about this guy who finds this girl's diary and wants to meet her, but he doesn't even know if she is alive or not." I lied.

        "Sounds good but remember the family comes first" he said again.

        "I know" I said quietly. I had already heard this almost daily.

        "Oh, and there is something else as well" he said it like he didn't know how I would react and didn't want to. 

        "What? What's wrong?" I asked instantly suspicious.

        "We found you a girlfriend! Isn't that great!?" he almost yelled he was so excited.

        "No." I said barely able to control my anger.  How could they do this to me? I have to make my own choices, and they aren't letting me.  Instantly, I was not as curious about this girl as I was about the diary girl. She was probably a fake.

        "What do you mean no? You haven't even met her yet!" Dad said angrily, he always had a hard time controlling his anger.

        "Exactly! You expect me to be with a girl I don't even know? I have to find someone for myself without anybody's help." I said it and knew Dad was not going to like it the instant I said it.

        "Son, you are going to be with Veronica whether you like it or not! We are going bankrupt and this relationship is going to help us get out of it! I'll not have you messing things up for the family" he said and I knew he wasn't even trying to hold back his anger this time.

        I just stared into thin air cursing everything that ever lived under my breath. Veronica, I thought, her name screams spoiled little rich girl that doesn't care about anybody but herself.

         "I'm going to the pond" I said through clenched teeth. I picked up the book and left the room.

        "Be back by 5 o'clock! We are meeting Veronica and her family for dinner!" Dad called after me.