Death of a Legend

One Hundred and Fifty-four Years Later

I stared down at the castle that had once contained me as a prisoner. I had saw the death of many humans as I had watched over these parts and the wolf pack that was running it. Midnight Storm, my faithful friend and brother had been long dead and I missed his company very much. I had began to remember things that I had pushed to the back of my mind since I had died as a human. Ruka had died fifty years ago and I had watched them bury him in the castle's graveyard. My son, Xavier, had ruled the humans well, his grandson was now ruling in his place. My great grandson, was leading in his place. He was twenty years old and his wife to-be was beautiful, she was kind hearted, and they were doing a fine job of ruling these parts. Things had changed very much since Ruka had ruled, since the prophecy was broken I had given my human being up to be a wolf full time. I didn't know that my powers would make me live as long as I have. But, I wasn't complaining if I was lucky enough to get this amount of years it was for some reason.

A glimpse of red hair made me turn to look closer at the castle doors. The long red hair looked like a flame in the morning sun. It was my daughter, Running Fire. She was beautiful, and every thing I had imagined what my daughter would look like. The red hair was a surprise but it didn't matter because she was my daughter, my only live daughter. Crow had stayed and traveled with me all of these years. The magic hadn't worn off in her either. I wondered how it was that we had been able to live this long. No human would live this long but no wolf would get to thirty either. Xavier was still alive, he was doing well in his old age. It felt weird that my son was that age and that my daughter wasn't far behind. Eclipse, was leading the wolf pack that was roaming this land and he met Xavier every week and talked with him. Xavier even ran with Eclipse and the pack at times. Eclipse had saw many wolves be born and many leave and many die. I had kept watch over all my children, even Crow, as she watched over me. I was tired of leaving but I knew that the reason I had lived this long was because an evil was roaming the land once again. I was the Guardian and one of my children would become the Guardian after I was dead, and one would become the Watcher as my daughter was. It was time to find out which one was the Guardian and which one was the Watcher. I had a feeling that it would be Eclipse and Running Fire, but I dared not say a thing to my children for fear that they would want me to stay. It scared me that they wouldn't find out what they were meant to be if I died without telling them so I made my way down the mountain. "Mother, what are you doing? You know that it's dangerous to go back. If anyone of the wolves are still alive from Ruka's time it would cause them to imprison you!" Crow said as she flapped over my head. "No one will imprison me because I killed the last wolf that ran with Ruka. No one knows that I am still alive but you and some of the other animals that have caught glimpses of me and even they think that it's my ghost. It will be alright daughter," I said. 

After I made my way down the mountain I found that Eclipse, Running Fire, and Xavier was already gathered below. It was as if they were expecting my arrival. I smiled and then Crow landed beside them. Xavier was in his wolf form as was Eclipse, Running Fire was standing as a red wolf, and Crow was a raven. I smiled at all of my children, all four of my children was beautiful and I was fixing to drop not one but two bombs on them. I sniffed the wind and I knew that the visitor was coming. "My children, there are things that have been kept hidden from your eyes and minds to keep you safe. Crow is the Watcher and I am the Guardian. One of my children must become the Guardian and the other the Watcher. Since there are five of you then it only makes sense that Running Fire is the Guardian and that Soarer is the Watcher," I said. They all stared at me confused. "Mom, there are only four of us," Crow said. I smiled and a bird landed on my back. It was an eagle. "This is Soarer, your youngest brother," I said looking at the four of their faces. It was like a shock wave had crashed into them. "Soarer will be watcher of the skies, and Running Fire will be guardian of the land and castle. It was meant for this because Eclipse is the leader of the wolves of this land and castle and Xavier is the ruler of the humans in this region and castle. Eclipse, you will find your mate soon. She I is wonderful and Xavier you were right in the one that was given to you. Running Fire and Soarer I am sorry but once you mate your mates will die after your offspring is of age to take your places. I hope that you have a good life ahead of you. I have had a good 172 year run. But it's time that I gave it up. I've had my time and now it's yours,"  I said. They stared at me and I smiled. I turned and I saw Soarer land on Running Fire's back. My children were forever taken care of me and then I turned and headed back into the mountains.

That Night

I looked at the stars from the top of the mountain that was overlooking the castle. I smiled because I had indeed had a good run but it was time to move on. It was time to leave this world. I inhaled and threw my head back once last time. I howled that night, the longest I had ever howled, it was somewhat sad, but it was joyous at the same time. I knew that the five of my children knew what was going on but I also knew that the animals and the humans would know who was dying and what was happening. I heard my children join in the howls and Soarer along with Crow made their own sounds. Then I laid my head down for the last time and I died listening to my childrens' howls and calls. The legendary Guardian was dead.