Pt. 9 - 7 May 1976 - Birthday

Lena observed herself in the mirror.

The dress she had chosen for tonight was simple, her favorite little black dress that fit perfectly and left nothing to imagination. Her hair was pulled up and piled on her head, leaving the big diamond earrings glistening at her ears to be the center of attention. And finally her deep red lipstick which completed the look.

She bent to pull on her heels, balancing precariously on one while securing the other.

"Twenty-five looks good on you," Roger said as he walked into the bedroom.

Lena smiled at him in the mirror, "Thank you. Shouldn't you be dressed by now?"

"Yes. But I wanted to give you something first."

"Rog-"

"Just wait. Turnaround towards the mirror and close your eyes."

"If you say so..."

In darkness she heard him come up behind her and the sound of him fumbling in his pocket. A line of cold metal fell on her neck, the pendant of whatever it was resting several inches below the lines of her collar bones. Roger's fingers brushed at the little hairs hanging down over the back of her neck causing her to shiver as he fixed the clasp of the necklace.

"Okay, open."

Lena opened her eyes and looked in the mirror. At first she did not realize what the little gold pendant was. But then, looking down at it and touching it with her fingertips and feeling the almost imperceptible ridges, she realized what it was. It was a piece of a broken cymbal, the once jagged edges filled down as not to stab her.

"Rog it's beautiful," she said, smiling at him widely in the mirror.

"Do you like it?"

She turned to face him, smiling warmly up at him.

"It's perfect," she said wrapping her arms around him.

"I wasn't quite sure what to get you and I found that piece in my pocket after a show one night and I kept it-"

"Rog it's absolutely perfect," she said, reaching up to kiss him, "But now I need some coffee before we go to this mystery party, and you need to get dressed."

"Yes ma'am," he said twirling her out of his grasp and sending her spinning toward the door. She grabbed her red jacket on the way out and proceeded down the stairs to the kitchen.

As the coffee brewed she thought about this impending party. It had of course been Freddie's idea and he had insisted upon it despite her protests. However, he had promised that the party would only consist of people she knew by name. But he had said that with an absolute mischievous glitter in his eye, so she still was not quite sure what to expect. She poured a little whiskey into her coffee and thumbed through a magazine, hoping not to see her name or face.

"Havin' a little somethin in your coffee there?" Roger asked.

"Just to start the night off right-" she began but stopped as she turned to see Roger, "You cannot be serious."

To Lena's horror Roger was wearing his favorite pink converse, which themselves were not all that bad. Nor were the black leather pants or white button down. Frankly, in that alone he would look quite good, she mused. But it was the bright pink blazer that made Lena's mouth drop.

"What? This is the perfect outfit for a fancy occasion."

"Not that coat. Absolutely not that coat."

"Oh yes. You cannot stop me. I have been planning to debut this coat for a long time and I just needed a good reason. And your birthday is the perfect occasion."