Chapter 8

Hot water poured out of the showerhead and ran down her skin and joined the pool of water she laid in. Zeta had zoned out, entirely ignorant of her surroundings, and was being flooded by an enormous amount of repressed memories.
Her old accomplices were with her in the middle of the government bank, stuffing the money printing machines and huge piles of cash into bags. They were being pursued by guards and police when she got shot in the leg and collapsed.
The moonlight lit up her then delicate face. She wasn't able to get off of the floor. Three of the others ran for the hills, while one stayed. The only one who cared. He threw away all the money the both of them had stolen and picked her up in his hands and walked towards the very police who had shot her down, begging for help. She had nearly passed out from the amount of blood she was losing.
Then all that came was a blur of white walls with graffiti, hospital staff, prison guards, inmates and the one who had saved her. She vaguely remembered breaking out of there with his help, only to have the both of them mugged and taken to a basement where they were tied up and gagged until a man showed up.
A man with a black suit and red tie. It was his fault what came next. Zeta sat up startled, as the water had started to flow into her half-open mouth and down her throat. She picked up a bar of soap and washed down the rest of her body as more memories flooded in.
She remembered being tied to a hospital bed, pipes running through her body. Various minute metallic objects being injected into her system. She almost felt the metallic fibres being threaded through her skin more intricately and dense than a cobweb, but the anaesthesia helped numb it down to not much more that pin pricks. She heard many people doubting the chances of her survival in the process, but he never faltered. His faith in her stronger than mountains. The man with the red tie.
She made it through the process mainly because of the sheer hatred she had for the man with the red tie and her desperate need to kill him. She was forced to join an organization that seemed to want to make a difference in her world, no matter the consequences or the actions performed. She returned to the one who had saved her, only to find him in the same predicament, except half dead. She begged and pleaded for his life and that's exactly what she got, his life.
She remembers the man with the red tie saying she would get her wish, the two of them being one forevermore. She remembers nothing of what happened after that. For all her strength, her mind couldn't possibly bear the strain of the process and cracked. And I don't blame her.
Zeta wiped herself dry with a towel, looking decimated. She dried her hair and put on her pyjamas and left her bathroom shaking uncontrollably, with no idea why.
She pulled out a bottle of beer and a tub of ice cream from her fridge and made herself comfy on her bed and flipped through her WebFlicks recommendations. Drinking and mass eating was how she coped with her problems.