nine

It was a bit warmer in Burnaby that day. I rolled up my sweater sleeves and tied my jacket around my waist.

Desmond and I have been walking for a while now. My throat felt dry and I was very hungry. Of course, I didn't tell Desmond, there were other problems than my appetite.

And that we had no idea where we were. It was already late, my cell phone was already out of battery and I didn't carry a watch with me. The dark-haired boy's time was also unclear. However, one could estimate that it was about 5 o'clock in the afternoon.

We were in the middle of the forest, surrounded by trees, which gave us some shade. I tied my hair into a high braid and took a deep breath in and out.

"Can we take a break?", I sighed and stopped. Desmond turned to look at me from top to bottom, "All right, let's look for some sort of cabin, there are a few of them here." Relieved, I took a deep breath and wiped the beads of sweat from my forehead.

"We also have to get some food. There's a gas station that we could steal from", he mumbled as he walked ahead of me. "I don"t know, I've never been to Burnaby," I shrugged, "Neither did I ever rob from a gas station." The dark-haired boy laughed softly and looked at me: "How long will you endure without water?"

Good question. To be honest, my head was buzzing and my vision was a bit blurry. In addition, my throat was dry as the desert and the hunger in my stomach grumbled more and more.

"Still a little bit", I replied. "Do you want to go to the gas station first?", His gaze rested on me with a wry smile. "Yes", I nodded, "What's your plan?"

"Do you see the little bell on the door there?" The dark-eyed boy asked. Meanwhile, we arrived at the gas station. "Yeah, the signal when someone comes in and goes out", I looked at him. "If you open the door too far, the bell will fall off, gas station owners are not the smartest people in security systems," he smiled, "and yes, I've done that before."

Once again I nodded and looked to the door: "And when the bell is off, what should I do?" Even if you flirt badly, you can try him, "Desmond winked at me, after which I punched his arm in a playful way. "And you get food and food?" I asked, tilting my head. "Yup," he took a deep breath, "There's no one in there .... that's good, okay, go on."

Uncertain, I took a deep breath and entered the gas station. I leaned the door extra wide and watched unobtrusively as the bell broke. She almost fell to the floor, instead she fell into my hands. Everything went smoothly so far ...

I looked around and moved to the cash register. There stood a young brown-haired man. This had shoulder-length hair, which was curly. His green eyes were fixed on his cell phone and looked up as I approached him.

"Can I help you?" The curly-haired boy asked. "Maybe ..", my gaze moved to his name tag, "Mr Matarazzo." Smiling, I looked into his face. "Oh .. look for something?" He continued. "Hm..a man by my side," I grinned crookedly and raised an eyebrow. "O-oh," he grinned slightly.

My hand went over the counter and accidentally touched a box with small toys inside. Well, "accidentally".

I'm so sorry! ", I looked at him shocked shocked. "It's okay ..", he bent down and picked up all the toys on the floor. "There is one more .. there was fallen under this shelf there", I pointed to a shelf.

As he concentrated on tidying up, I unobtrusively turned to see Desmond creeping quietly down the aisles and packing one after the other into my bag.He had pulled his hood over his head. The dark-haired boy gave me a crooked smile and mouthed:"Well done." I smiled back and turned back to the cashier, who was still looking for the toys.