35. Still I Love You

Start from the beginning

"I love you." She rose to her toes and kissed him. She did it to prevent him from responding. He'd been careful to avoid those three words, so she didn't want to put him in an awkward position. But she knew he felt it. He'd told her more than once he cared for her, which in her book was the same thing. She released him and backed away. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah. Got my bag by the door. Zari, Matthew and Dante should be here in a few minutes. She has some furniture to store, so later today, they're going to bring it here. No need paying for a unit when this place will be vacant for a while."

"Will you call me?"

He took her in his arms again. "I can tonight when I get to the base, but once I ship out tomorrow, I won't be allowed a cell phone. Guess I'll have to write."

"Will you?"

"Yeah. If I can. Hard to know what I'll be able to do until I get orders."

She took a deep breath and willed tears away. "I understand. I just hope you won't be gone long."

"Yeah, me, too—Silbie, I..." The doorbell rang. "That's probably the family. I'll let them in."

It didn't take long for Owen to instruct Zari where to put her extra furniture, and give Dante orders to check on the place at least once a week. By the time he'd covered all the things that needed attention while he was gone, his ride to the base was out front.

Silbie's heart sank, and she dug her nails into her palms to keep from crying. As long as she focused on physical pain, the emotional agony stayed at bay. Along with everyone else, she followed him out onto the porch. He gave everyone a final hug, then walked away without looking back, until he reached the van. Then he turned. Locked eyes with her, and mouthed, "I love you."

She ran to him, threw her arms around him, and sobbed into his chest. "Do whatever you have to do to come back to me."

He held her tighter. "I will. And Silbie, all that shit I said about going on with your life, I didn't mean it. Don't see anyone else. When I get back, we'll make it work. I know it's selfish..."

She placed fingers to his lips. "You don't even have to ask. Now, tell me you love me one more time."

He cupped her face, wiped her tears with his thumbs, then kissed her. When their lips parted, he whispered against them. "I love you. Always. Forever."

She took a deep breath as if to pull the words into her soul.

Then he was gone.

Zari wrapped her arms around her, and Silbie wept harder, her entire body shaking. "I'm so scared."

"I know. We all are."

*

On Monday, while Gabriel took Rebel for his daily walk he thought about how life had changed. Zari had lived with him less than three months, and he was already used to having her around. Funny. He'd been by himself for awhile, but now the thought of those empty rooms made the cottage seem much bigger. Thank goodness, she'd be home tomorrow.  All he had to do was make it one more night. He'd not liked the idea of her going to Dallas alone, but she wanted to take care of things before paying another month's rent. Just one problem. The real boyfriend lived there. What if he contacted her?

He shook the notion away. He could what if himself all night, and it wouldn't change anything. Sooner or later, she'd see him. Gabriel just wanted to be with her when that happened. Needed to be. To defend what he'd done. The lies he told. Well, only one. That he wasn't who she believed. Everything else had been honest.