5.4

Bug Infestation

Tulan Port, Playa

Hadley came to Reyne's office, since hers was still being dug out from Playa's thick bedrock. She'd changed into a more casual tunic with feminine flowing pants. She walked less stiffly, or perhaps, because her hair was down, she seemed more approachable.

He motioned toward the couches off to the side of his office. "Have a seat, Citizen Goldsberry."

"Please, call me Hadley."

"Then you can call me Aramis. Or Reyne, or whatever suits your fancy."

"Aramis it is, then." When she sat, her smile morphed into a frown as she tried to smooth the fabric over the barely visible gravity suit she wore underneath her outfit. "It will be so nice when we finally have full gravity throughout the stationhouse. These suits are rather chafing."

"We expect to have it in the main tunnels and offices within the week; at least, the ones that have been built," he said. "Not having full gravity speeds up the heavy construction work, so you'll see it turned off every now and then as we build out the tunnels."

"I shouldn't complain," she said. "Lower gravity has its perks. My hair has never had as much body as it does here."

"It looks nice. I meant to say, you look nice," Reyne said sincerely.

Her smile grew. "Why, Aramis, I never took you for the complimentary type."

"I've been known to hand out a compliment or two." He strode over to the bar. "I had to do some digging around to find some tea around here, but I can't say I've ever had tea before."

"No, I don't suppose you have. I pictured you more as a whiskey man."

"Brandy is my preference," he said. "But whiskey has a nice burn to it."

He picked up the two cups he'd prepared and handed one to her before taking a seat on the opposite couch.

She took a drink, then winced slightly.

"Not a fan of the tea?" Reyne asked.

"It's a tad bitter, but not bad. How long did you let it steep?" she asked, and took another drink, this time without wincing.

"I don't know, maybe a half hour or so."

Her lips curled upward. "That explains it then."

He shrugged. "Tea has to be imported, and they typically send the crap out here. Playa's underground gardens are restricted to growing only the essentials for survival, and tea's never been considered an essential."

Hadley chuckled. "My mother would disagree. She loves her tea so much that she bought a tea boutique in First City." She paused. "But you don't have any interest in learning about me."

"You're wrong. I wouldn't mind getting to know you."

"Really?"

Reyne stammered. "Sure, in a work capacity, of course."

"Of course." She inhaled. "So, what's on your mind—in a work capacity?"

Reyne put his mug down. "Well, the local workforce, for starters. Playa's not an easy place to live. As I'm sure you've already noticed, credits don't exactly flow out this far in the fringe. That's why we help each other out whenever we can around here. That crew you let go today? They needed those jobs to put food on the table."

"I understand, but I receive direction from my superiors at Legacy Star. They sent the bots with Simon and me, and they expect them to be used." She shrugged. "And from a budgetary standpoint, the bots are a godsend. They work nonstop for minimal maintenance costs. With them, I can finish the wing two months faster and at nearly half the cost than if I pull from the Playan workforce."