14, Sold Again

Hey guys! There is some violence and intensity in this chapter, so be ready for that.  I don't really think it's any worse than some of the more intense scenes in Snow White with the Red Hair, but I don't want anyone complaining that I should've said something.

Hana had returned to her room for the night, sobbing. What had she done? To Obi? To herself? To Kareine and Jasmine? To everyone? Not knowing what else to do, she started packing her bag. She would be leaving soon. She looked in the mirror--she didn't deserve this dress. She began to slide it off.

Obi opened the door to her room then, half way stepping in, "Hana!" But he froze, his breath caught in his throat at the sight of her. His eyes widened; her back was to him, her dress resting down her hips. It was a sight that, ordinarily, he would have been pleased to see. But her bare back revealed so much worse than he had ever suspected. So. Many. Lashings. Lashings that only slaves usually had.

Hana gasped as Obi barged in, gripping her gown close to her chest. Her eyes widened in fear, and she froze. He had just seen her back. All her scars. She could tell immediately that Obi knew. She had been discovered, which meant that Koji was going to pay the price.

Obi quickly stepped back out the door and closed it, his face slightly flushed, and his heart racing. How was he supposed to feel, seeing her back covered in scars? This was not how it was supposed to be when he finally saw her bare.

"Obi, wait!" Hana, still half undressed, rushed over to the door, flinged it open, and grabbing his arm, pulled him in before closing and locking the door behind him. Her heart was racing. She felt so desperate. So scared. "Obi, please, please, you cannot tell anyone!" she sobbed, tears running down her cheeks. A storm of emotions clashed inside her; her head began to throb. She dropped to the ground, her grip sliding from his arm to the leg of his pant. But Obi was like stone. Hana, still holding her gown up with one hand, looked up to Obi, grabbing for his hand with her free one, "Obi, Obi, please... I-I'm so sorry I didn't tell you! Please..." tears continued to run down her face, dripping onto Obi's shoes. He balled his fists, his emotions gone. Numb. Like the old days. "So are you telling me, that from the very beginning, we couldn't be together?" Hana could barely breathe she was crying so hard. "I-I, I'm so sorry, Obi! I truly am! I want nothing more than to be with you, to believe that I could, you know this! But I-I also have to protect Koji!" Her voice was hoarse as she spoke between sobs. Obi turned away from her. "Obi!" But he walked out the room, without so much as a second glance, leaving Hana alone with her tears.

Hana managed to make it back home on her own, hitching a few rides over the last few hours. Luckily it was busy out so late, with the wedding. After having betrayed Obi, she felt like it would be best for her to leave sooner rather than later, so that's exactly what she did. She hadn't told anyone of her friends that she had left. It would be easier that way, for everyone.

"Hana!" Koji saw her approaching from the window. He shot passed his mistress and Gero, not caring if he would get a lashing for it later; he had to see her. He jumped into her arms. "Koji!! Oh Koji, I'm so happy to see you," she ruffled the back of his head, happy tears flowing this time. She cupped his face, "were you hurt while I was away?" "Nothing too major, Hana, I promise." Memory struck him then. "But Hana, your next buyer, he's actually here right now! You need to lea--" "Hana! I'm so glad to see that you're back so soon, late though it may be! I have excellent news! Your next master happens to be here now! And he has paid quite a handsome lot for you—the highest I have ever seen!" Gero came out then, chuckling. "Now let's take a look at my merchandise." Hana grimaced at the sight of him. He was tall and lanky, with a thin mustache and goatee, dressed in fine clothing; he reeked of the kind of man with no morals.

He got in Hana's face, gripping her chin tightly, forcing her head from side to side as he looked her over. He smirked. "She'll do nicely," he said, shoving her off. "Y... you want me to bake for you as well?" "Ha! A pretty little thing like you? I can put you to much better use than baking. Though, I do consider the food a plus." Hana's eyes widened.

It began to rain.

"Hana!" Koji lunged for her; he couldn't let her be taken away. Rhuel grabbed him, throwing him down into the mud, before pulling out her whip. "Koji! No! What will happen to him once I'm gone!?" Hana, too, lunged for Koji, but was immediately restrained by Gero. "Damn girl! You're going to be feisty, eh?" He tied her arms behind her back with rope, almost more tightly than she could bear, despite her best struggles. "What happens to the boy is none of your concern now, Girl!" She struck Koji with the whip, and he screamed. "KOJI!" Hana screamed his name, fighting to be by his side. She could not lose another brother. "Not so fast, you're mine now," Gero pulled her back by her hair, punching her squarely in the gut. She collapsed, vomiting as soon as her knees hit the ground. Rhuel jerked Koji up by the neck of his shirt, throwing him towards the house. "Hana!" He reached out for her, despite the pain that coursed through his body.

Gero pulled Hana up by her hair, and she cried out from pain. "Time to go, Runt," he flung Hana over his shoulder, walking to his horse. He threw her over, letting her legs and head dangle uncomfortably down. He tied her ankles. He laughed then, smacking her from behind as he hopped onto his horse, riding away.

Hana never stopped crying.