A Comprehensive Guide to Being Confused by Emperor Kaito

Yet another post Stars Above fic, so beware of spoilers! Thank you @oneforever36 for your suggestion! (sorry, Wattpad isn't letting me tag people properly)

Cinder was both the most predictable and unreadable person Kai had ever met. As much as he loved her, she would never fail to confuse him on occasion, like that time he had no idea she was the lost Lunar princess that he had developed a bit of an obsession with.

Oops.

There was no denying that she had developed a bit of a vendetta against him in the past few days, but he wasn't exactly sure why. He didn't think he had wronged her in any way, but still he was here, pacing in his personal office, contemplating. He couldn't come to a clear conclusion. This was almost more frustrating than when Queen Levana had proposed on occasion after occasion. He did marry her, against his better judgment.

Yet another mishap on Kai's part. But he needed to focus.

Cinder had glared at him the last meeting they went to, gesturing angrily at the floor. She hardly spoke a word to Kai at dinner for the past week and made it a point that she did not want to cuddle. Kai had no idea what in his right mind she could be agitated about. He was tempted to go talk to Torin about it, even.

Kai had relied less and less on his royal adviser since Cinder's coronation as Empress. They were a great match in many respects, but when it came to problems solving they were always each other's better half. They had their disputes (Kai couldn't help thinking of that time she kidnapped him) but neither one of them could remain irritated for long. Though, sometimes, Kai sought out the wisdom of his experienced adviser. He had been doing such more and more often.

Kai soon found himself seated across from Konn Torin, whining like a child who wasn't allowed any ice cream.

"What if she hates me? She can't hate me. I don't hate her!"

Torin sighed. "Have you tried talking to her?"

"Wait. I think it's because I've been talking to you so much lately! She must be jealous! I never thought if her as the type, but..." Kai trailed off, eyes cast to the wall beside Torin as he considered. He quickly jumped to his feet, halfway out the door. "Thank you!"

He was speed walking down the intricate, elaborate palace halls when he collided with something. No, not something, he thought. He looked at the person he had ran into and found himself face to face with a very irritated Cinder. She glanced from his eyes to his shoes and back again. She shook her head and made her way back down the hall, betrayal gleaming in her cinnamon eyes. Kai ran after her, concern playing on his features. He took her hand, and she turned to face him.

"What's been bothering you? I know you. You aren't the type to get upset so easily, " Kai spoke, layering his words with all the gentleness he could muster.

"You know perfectly well what you did! Its been happening every day!"

"Wait, are you jealous of all the time I've been spending with Torin as opposed to you?"

He waited for a beat, silence falling between the two. Then, Cinder chuckled. "What, no!"

Kai started. "Whatever could it be, then?"

"You don't tie your shoes correctly."

Silence fell over them in waves. "Really," She went on. "You don't double knot them and they come undone, in the most inconvenient times. Just yesterday in that meeting with President Vargas I tried to tell you but you didn't understand."

Realization crossed Kai's face. "That makes a lot of sense, actually."

Cinder smiled. "Just double knot them from now on." She stood on her toes and quickly kissed him. "Come on, we have a meeting with Queen Camila about trade agreements."

Kai groaned, running his fingers through his hair. "It's four already? Well, let's go get this over with."

They made their way down the hall, hands intertwined, and while Kai felt like a complete idiot, he had to admit that he was a very, very lucky one.

Wattpad has completely screwed up tagging so I'm just going to do it here, disregard the "mention a user" that appears after because if delete it, it will delete the tag as well: oneforever36mention a user

Keep sending in requests if you have one! I don't have a consistent schedule but eventually I will get around to it!