xxxv. downward spiral

ok im tryna not post the first chapter for the kuzma fic bc it's somehow connected to blessed (aka the future) so hehe i'll finish blessed first. please vote and comment!

Stephen

I was having a bad day.

The funny thing was, I couldn't point my fingers as to why I was feeling like shit. It felt like I was about to catch the nastiest flu.

I didn't understand why I felt nervous and overall just, weird.

"Stephen, you alright?" Coach Kerr took a seat next to me on the sideline as the other players took a break from the drills.

I caught my breath and drank from the bottle. "I think I'm gonna be sick, coach."

Coach Kerr then looked at me worriedly and checked my temperature with his hand. He can be such a good father figure if I was being real.

"Need an Oscar with that?" Draymond threw a towel over me while he joined us.

I snorted in my head. "I ain't acting. I really feel like something bad's about to happen."

I felt a pat on my shoulder from Coach Kerr before he reached for the stat sheets. "You just need sleep, my boy. Look here, you see your stats? No one else in the league is doing what you're doing right now. You're changing the game, Steph. I would bet all of me just to experience what you're having right now."

Taking in his words, it would be ridiculous not to feel absolutely confident after hearing all that from Steve Kerr himself. This man believed in me from when I was a B grade point guard that had recurrent ankle injuries and can only shoot threes that I almost didn't make the NBA, to becoming one of the best in the league and being named a 2x MVP.

I shouldn't take all of these for granted when I knew I was still in my peak.

"Thanks, coach," I replied in utmost gratitude.

"You're doing great out there. You're giving us a good game every time," he continued, encouraging me with all his might. "I want you to continue this, Steph. Focus on the ball game. Focus on your goal. We're all here to protect your legacy."

Draymond just listened to us while picking his nose. "Favoritism as fuck."

That quickly sent Coach and I to chuckling fits.

"You've been such a great asset, a great soul, and a great defensive stop for the team, Draymond," Coach Kerr told him. "The team isn't the same without you."

Although Dray had the widest smile from that, he still tried to play it off as nothing. "Come on, coach. We know Steph is your favorite child."

I wonder how it felt to have a favorite child. I knew my mom favored me most even if she tried to deny because I was her eldest and one that looked most like her. Pops don't do the favoritism thing so far. Would I actually feel that way when Arzaya and I start to have our twins?

She'd neck me if I played favorites on our kids, no doubt.

"Alright, back to practice!" Coach Kerr ordered as his timer went off. I put my bottle back in my bag and got up from my seat. "Let's get it going guys. Man-to-man defense and offense today with your respective training assistants."

I stretched my arms and grabbed a ball.

"You're doing this with me, Steph," Coach added, urging us to head towards one of the unoccupied rings.

I shot the ball from the arc and it went in-and-out. Jesus. Not a single decent shot today.

Coach handed me another ball and I did a crossover before I shot it off the dribble. Still, although my shot was wide open, I couldn't make it rain threes.